Technical UConnect Woes

Currently reading:
Technical UConnect Woes

Cei

Hi all,

Picked up our 500X PopStar just under 2 weeks ago, though it's up-spec'd well beyond, including the 6.5" UConnect Nav thingy. However, I'd really like some advice on a few things.

1) The TomTom Live services info page says it has no subscription, is not activated and I cannot find a way to do so. My experience with TomTom is that the Live services are all the useful traffic updates etc, so I really want that on. Help?

2) Using an iPhone 6+ I can easily stream music over Bluetooth. However, when the iPhone is connected via USB it refuses to play audio. The UConnect system reckonises that there's an iPod connected, and even shows the track correctly. However the audio comes out the phone. Any ideas? Running iOS 10 if that helps.

Silly question, I presume you have loaded the app and created an account:)

No question is a silly one!

Yes, I've got the UConnect app. In there it has the section for TomTom LIVE, but just tells me "once activated push NAV". My UConnect Live status is active until 04/01/2022.

EDIT: So I went at sat in the car in the dark and messed around further. So if I have my phone in the car and the UConnect app open, I can get the TomTom LIVE services working as well as the various "Apps". However, as soon as I close the app it all stops. So, do I really have to keep that open when I'm driving?

However, the music issue remains. Bluetooth works fine. As soon as I connect via USB and it shows up as an iPod source, nothing.

Last edited:
If you want the live traffic services running you need to keep the app open. I find that once I get in the car the phone pairs with the car via Bluetooth then there is a delay of around a couple of minutes before the live services kick in. You should see the traffic delay bar if any on any planed route you have set up in the nav. If I don't see the bar on the right had side of the screen I know I have been logged out and have to log back in.
I had the Fiat Tomtom in my 500 and it worked the same.

In addition to this, the Uconnect feature will only work through Bluetooth.
I have the smaller screen with the Nav and found through trial and error that plugging the phone into the USB port would then disable the Uconnect feature.

Well that's really really silly. Can the UConnect app work in the background?

Looks like I'll be having to run audio over Bluetooth or a proper separate iPod then, powering my phone off the 12V socket. I'm amazed that the Blue&Me system off my 63 plate 500 is actually better in this regard, as that worked fine.

Yes it runs in the background no problem, check its data use and it's very low. I am confused re the issue of Bluetooth and playing music. I can get live services via Bluetooth and play tracks from my iPhone via the USB connection. I find Bluetooth playback is poor. Are you selecting the media input type from the touch screen menu.

I play all my music from my iPhone via Bluetooth and sound is perfect. All selected from the car screen.

Last edited:
Yes it runs in the background no problem, check its data use and it's very low. I am confused re the issue of Bluetooth and playing music. I can get live services via Bluetooth and play tracks from my iPhone via the USB connection. I find Bluetooth playback is poor. Are you selecting the media input type from the touch screen menu.

Yep. When plugged in to USB it comes up as "iPod" and is available as a source, it even picks up the track correctly. However the controls don't work and audio comes out the phone :(

I am going to have to retract what I originally said, however I suspect it is due to an update.

My iPhone 6 is currently plugged into the USB. I can stream music and Uconnect works.

Phone
IMG_1476974407.243814.jpg

Music
IMG_1476974698.253277.jpg

Uconnect
IMG_1476974759.915101.jpg

What the phone says is connected
IMG_1476974593.717181.jpg

Streaming Tunein radio
IMG_1476974606.810633.jpg

This never worked when I first got the car.

Last edited:
So my dealer full out replaced the UConnect unit. Now it streams audio off my iPhone via USB. Result!

Ugh. If only mine would work. Mine is a June 2015 Pop Star with the 6.5" screen.

On the TomTom integration, I understand that the 6.5" screens use Microsoft Here maps, not TomTom, so the TomTom live stuff will not work with the larger screens.

My car has Live enabled, but is stuck on FW version 15.04.31 and is part of the 9018 - Retrofit VP4 which should update the radio to at least 15.21.37. This means that none of the Uconnect live stuff works on my head unit. The car has been back to the dealership on 4 occasions now to "fix" the issue and every time it comes back, nothing. Fiat UK are proactive and speak to the dealer. That is where it all falls down. Very very frustrating...

Fiat 500X with 6.5 Live Nav unit. Had the car 6 weeks now and still haven't fully worked out how it all works. Re TomTom I have never seen the traffic bar ever even tho' phone is on, connected and the app down loaded. The explanation above re using Microsoft mapping may be the answer. I do get traffic info on the system without using the phone, but on a separate screen.

2nd issue is trying to play music from a USB stick or SD card. Formatted to FAT32 and down loaded as MP3 files both as separate tracks and folders but the Uconnect does not see the stick or card when selected on the screen. Any ideas out there.

I use windows10 media player to copy my cds to a flash drive stick and the uconnect just plays the tracks. Sometimes I have to select USB instead of Bluetooth as the car seems to default to my phone.

Have now downloaded my music to a 32GB SD card and it works, so I am thinking there was some sort of problem using the memory stick. Working on the TomTom Live connection now.

Back