Technical uConnect Update?

Currently reading:
Technical uConnect Update?

Just had a phone call from the dealer. They've found the Fiat instructions on how to do it. Map update to March 2017 available. They're coming to collect the car tomorrow. Fingers crossed ??

For those of you with the 6.5" 'fancy pants' version, here is how you get your maps updated

Go to https://maps.mopar.eu/en/home and either login or create an account

Enter your VIN number where requested and hopefully you will see a screen resembling this one

IMG_2881.JPG

Now, the maps are supplied by a company called HERE

The dealer must create a company account with them, if they don't already have one. This takes 3-5 working days to activate (no idea why)

Once this is done the dealer has the Fiat equivalent of a Haynes Manual with step by step instructions on how to do it. It sounds like it's a case of downloading to acUSB stick but we can't do it ourselves.

Voila

So, it won't won't be happening tomorrow but hopefully within the next week. I can't believe that I'm the only Fiat owner round here that wants their maps updated, 2015 is just a tad out of date

I can’t seem to find a UConnect app... is that Android only?

All sounds unecessarily complicated. I expected Fiat dealers with the volume of 500x's being sold would be well on top of this, obviously not.

Apparently it's a safety feature so the door can't be opened from the outside at traffic lights while you're inside with the fob

This may be the case but it's not needed in my opinion. I don't know if the "fancy pants" (love the term BTW) has the option but my 5 incher has an option to autolock the doors. When I start driving, after a minute or so all the doors lock on their own, I cant remember if it's speed threshold related or time related.

Hmm ...looks like the UConnect app is not available in Australia - happy to hear from other Oz 500X owners

The UConnect Live website does not list Australia in their country selection option... I’ll see if I can get a map update through my local dealer

The UConnect Live website does not list Australia in their country selection option... I’ll see if I can get a map update through my local dealer

You don't need the uConnect Live app to get your maps updated, not sure how it works in Oz but in UK it works differently depending whether it's the 5" or 6.5" unit

I have the 6.5 inch screen, assume I can download maps from the TomTom site

I have the 6.5 inch screen, assume I can download maps from the TomTom site

In the UK the 6.5" unit maps are only updatable in an approved FCA workshop. No idea what the system is in Oz

Ok thanks for that. I’m dropping in to the service centre for my initial 1000km check up next week, will ask about updates on the day.

On some forums I have see suggestions that the 6.5 screen is not a TomTom system but cannot prove it either way.

As I was told by the FIAT live support, the maps in 6.5 units are provided by Here, not TomTom.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't notice it was an old thread. You probably know that already by now.

Last edited:
Interesting words from HERE re Satnav updates

"HERE Technologies, a mapping data provider, stated that manufacturers receive regular map updates but it is up to them how often they share these and how much they charge for them, or if they want to enable their customers to have them for free.

The cost itself is said by manufacturers to be mostly made up of the software packages which they pay for plus the labour costs associated with updating the sat nav itself, although why this differs so much between manufacturers is unknown."

HERE Technologies, a mapping data provider, stated that manufacturers receive regular map updates but it is up to them how often they share these and how much they charge for them, or if they want to enable their customers to have them for free.

Yeah, Here support told me something along the same lines: They only provide the data and everything else is up to FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles).

Interestingly, when I tried to clear up things about the map region change with said FCA, they directed me to Here, to the genuine surprise of the latter.

My 500X came supplied with the 6.5 inch screen, I understand that the mapping is supplied by a company called Here. Does anybody know what the advantage is in connecting via a mobile phone with the UConnect app. The screen suggests that it is connecting to TomTom but the maps remain the same. There are a few extra services such as weather, but is it a real advantage to use the app.

My car is also fitted with lane control and I have wondered if the car would keep between the white lines if the steering was left to its self, I certainly wouldn't try it on a public road, has anybody had the chance to try it in a safe enviroment?

My 500X came supplied with the 6.5 inch screen, I understand that the mapping is supplied by a company called Here. Does anybody know what the advantage is in connecting via a mobile phone with the UConnect app. The screen suggests that it is connecting to TomTom but the maps remain the same. There are a few extra services such as weather, but is it a real advantage to use the app.

My car is also fitted with lane control and I have wondered if the car would keep between the white lines if the steering was left to its self, I certainly wouldn't try it on a public road, has anybody had the chance to try it in a safe enviroment?

The TomTom Live services are ALMOST not worth the effort, Live Traffic info is about the only benefit.

As for 'Lane Control', I don't have it fitted but my understanding is that it just gives you a warning if you stray out of your lane. I do not believe that it "keeps you between the white lanes"

I have the 6.5" screen. It uses TomTom software with HERE maps. The Live Services are a bit of a gimmick to be honest, but the live traffic info can be rewarding in some circumstances. There is an unanswered question about privacy, since their app clearly states that they constantly transmit your location data to remote 3rd party servers. Also, the maps are always outdated and require a kidney to update.

I have the Lane departure warning, as part of the Safety Package. The first thing I noticed, is that it monitors the steering wheel and will nag/complain (beep and display a message) when you get both hands off the steering wheel, its ok to hold it with just one hand. Yes, it actually STEERS the car, if you drift close to the edge of your lane. Useful at times, if you get distracted, but it won't work if the road doesn't have properly painted lines, so it works better on the motorway.

Also, when you use your turn signals, it automatically disengages (temporarily) so you can change lanes. It auto-engages once you are settled in the new lane (or the old one if you did not complete your lane change).

For those of you with the 6.5" 'fancy pants' version, here is how you get your maps updated

Go to https://maps.mopar.eu/en/home and either login or create an account

Enter your VIN number where requested and hopefully you will see a screen resembling this one

View attachment 186402

Now, the maps are supplied by a company called HERE

The dealer must create a company account with them, if they don't already have one. This takes 3-5 working days to activate (no idea why)

Once this is done the dealer has the Fiat equivalent of a Haynes Manual with step by step instructions on how to do it. It sounds like it's a case of downloading to acUSB stick but we can't do it ourselves.

Voila

So, it won't won't be happening tomorrow but hopefully within the next week. I can't believe that I'm the only Fiat owner round here that wants their maps updated, 2015 is just a tad out of date

Been following this...So when I pick up my new to me 20 month old Fiat 500 X with 6.5 display it won’t have up to date maps?? On the link to Mopar website it lists 5.0 & 7.0 as upgradeable but 6.5 is it upgradable is there a charge or is it free!! Bit of an afterthought!
Buying my car from Independent non Fiat dealer, do I rock up to local Fiat Garage & hit them with it??
I had a 59 plate Fiat Bravo which had Blue & Me bit hit & miss to be honest!!
At least Fiat keep you on your toes guessing, not a lot has changed

Been following this...So when I pick up my new to me 20 month old Fiat 500 X with 6.5 display it won’t have up to date maps?? On the link to Mopar website it lists 5.0 & 7.0 as upgradeable but 6.5 is it upgradable is there a charge or is it free!! Bit of an afterthought!
Buying my car from Independent non Fiat dealer, do I rock up to local Fiat Garage & hit them with it??
I had a 59 plate Fiat Bravo which had Blue & Me bit hit & miss to be honest!!
At least Fiat keep you on your toes guessing, not a lot has changed

Firstly the 6.5" unit is only updatable at and by a Fiat dealer. Secondly, the dealer informed me, there is a charge of approx £200 including labour to update the maps. This is a fee that is chargeable for EVERY update.

Everybody will have their own opinion and preferences. My answer was to buy a top of the range Garmin with 7" HD screen, free map updates 4 times a year (incidentally they are HERE maps, same as uConnect uses), free Traffic and free Camera updates for life. It sits nicely on top of the dashboard instead of being suckered to the screen and actually has more functionality than the uConnect system. Price? £199 at the moment.

As I said this will not be everyone's preference but I refuse to pay £200 per update.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your 500X, I certainly do.

Back