Tyre makes

Currently reading:
Tyre makes

Jody Mitchell

Hi,

Apologies! Young female driver here!

If my tyres are fairly new and in overall condition, albeit one with a puncture. Will it be ok to replace with a tyre with the same specification of a different make without having to replace the other 3 good tyres?

Can the puncture not be repaired?

Generally you should have matching tyres on each axle, and its often best practice for 4 wheel drives to have the same all round (appreciate this might not apply to your circumstances)

This doesn’t stop people having mismatched tyres though.

Can the puncture not be repaired?

Generally you should have matching tyres on each axle, and its often best practice for 4 wheel drives to have the same all round (appreciate this might not apply to your circumstances)

This doesn’t stop people having mismatched tyres though.
Its severe pot hole damage which completely and instantly burst the tyre, so I doubt it can be repaired unfortunately. I only have the fix&go kit so I'm thinking of ordering from a mobile tyre fitter.

For general use then it wont matter too much.
If you like screamng around country roads in the wet with the car on the limit then it matters a bit more. Or if having to do an emergency stop in the rain or ice at high speed.

Even the exact same tyre will have a different tread depth when new, so will behave a bit differently anyway.

Ahh, this changes things somewhat.. had wondered if you hadn’t been offered a repair… as mentioned if you drive on the limit, then make sure they match, if you’re well behaved, then probably less critical

Hi,

If my tyres are fairly new and in overall condition, albeit one with a puncture. Will it be ok to replace with a tyre with the same specification of a different make without having to replace the other 3 good tyres?
If it’s not 4x4 then make sure that the driven and steering (so, if it’s front wheel drive then it’s tyres should be same and the non driven rear tyres can be different, but obviously same size) have the same tyres and rotation (most tyres these days are rotational)

I would buy 2 matching new ones to fit on the rear axle, put the pre-worn ones on the front, and keep the odd (lowest tread) pre-worn as a spare in case of further damage to the front tyres.

Pot hole was driven through ag night and I didnt see it at the time!
Try get a photo and claim against the highway authority. Its worth the cost of a letter, If they say yheu inspected teh roads in the last few weeks and you can dispute this do so. Ask for the inspection sheets. In this area now Im retired I have a decent idea of when these inspectors are around, and htat really is not regular.

ABS brakes make reasonably evenly worn tyres across an axle more important as big differences can upset ABS warning systems. There are some reasonable cheaper tyres out there sub brands of the big manufacturers. Kleber Kuhmo have worked for me. Look up independant tyre sellers as they are often cheaper by a lot. Try and stick to Northern european made tyres as teh rubber compounds vary and these ,ay be better suited to out roads. I recently bought 2 tyres for daughters car at £60 each all included. These were a big brand tyre to so I was quite pleased. Avoid Halfords and Kwikfit as they are costly now playing to lease and company cars not provate owners. Buy bidirectional tyres not ones that have to fit a wheel one way round and which can rotate in ponly one direction. This gives more flexibility to move tyres around in such circumstances. My experience over a huge milage is that the best tyres come from the big brands but cost the most. Overall I find its saved money buying te best as they last longer and at the same time perform best. Avoiding tyres of unknown provenance is important as some are very very poor.

If you are offered something, post on here and you will get some independant opinions that could be important in avoiding poor makes.

Last edited:
I would buy 2 matching new ones to fit on the rear axle, put the pre-worn ones on the front, and keep the odd (lowest tread) pre-worn as a spare in case of further damage to the front tyres.
I never agree with that for a front wheel drive car, you are far more likely to need more grip on the front, (wheelspin or understeer) before the back end steps out. I'd not let the rear tyres go below 3mm

I never agree with that for a front wheel drive car, you are far more likely to need more grip on the front, (wheelspin or understeer) before the back end steps out. I'd not let the rear tyres go below 3mm
For most drivers lift off oversteer means much more of a loss of control than understeer imho, especially for a less experienced driver.

Even with expensive front tyres I can get the front end sliding without much effort, the rear is never a problem. Well, as long as you dont push the car beyond sensible limits - and you generally know when you go too far. Probably depends how powerful the car is too.

Even with expensive front tyres I can get the front end sliding without much effort, the rear is never a problem. Well, as long as you dont push the car beyond sensible limits - and you generally know when you go too far. Probably depends how powerful the car is too.
We're advising a young driver, hence my comments.

Although for clarity, whilst I used to subscribe to the 'best tyres on the front' school of thought, I also now make sure that new tyres go on the rear of our cars.

Just checking the torque of the panda 1.2, only 102Nm, my daily driver citroen has 340Nm @2000rpm. It might not matter for a panda, but it grip at the front matters to me.

Just checking the torque of the panda 1.2, only 102Nm, my daily driver citroen has 340Nm @2000rpm. It might not matter for a panda, but it grip at the front matters to me.
We're not advising you though, we're advising a young driver about what might be best for her.

she might have a 500bhp fiat coupe for all we know...

Hi,

you don't need to replace all the tires. Best practice is to replace the two on the same axel so if its a front tire replace both front tires, if they are very new you can get away with replacing one tire with another new tire, but if they are a year or two old on the car then its best to replace both.

They do not have to be exactly the same tire but they have to be the same "type" this gets complicated so its easier to just stick another tire of the same make and model on.

the make and model is on the side of the tire. As is the size, normally it will say something like 185/65/14R and there is a speed indicator which is a single letter.

Plug your car reg into something like black circles and then search for the exact tire already on the car.

Also while tires might seem new, they actually have a date code printed on them. usually the year and the week in which they were made so 2518 would be the 25th week of 2018, They might look new but could be a few years old if they have sat on a shelf over time the tires can go hard or crack so it may still be worth replacing two together if they are a few years old.

Back