Tyre change, better MPG?

Currently reading:
Tyre change, better MPG?

In the 215/45/17 it used to be 34 in the front and 32 in the back but when I had the 225/45/17 F1's fitted the guy recommended 36 in the front and 34 in the back. The average MPG has slowly increased since.

I wondered if changing from 215 to 225 could have any impact on the MPG?

In the 215/45/17 it used to be 34 in the front and 32 in the back but when I had the 225/45/17 F1's fitted the guy recommended 36 in the front and 34 in the back. The average MPG has slowly increased since.

I wondered if changing from 215 to 225 could have any impact on the MPG?

Theoretically changing from 215 to 225 will have a slight effect on the MPG, because of the larger surface running along the road, causing friction and drag?

I doubt the difference will be that noticeable though.

Knackered two of my Cinq's wheels on a pothole a while back. Got a set of four wheels off eBay with accelera tyres, fitted them all together and I'm now getting a few more MPG (was Nankangs all round before).

I've never had Michelins since the Citroen BX back in 1988. It was like a skateboard and the fronts would always spin up if you need to turn right or get onto a traffic island quickly. Driving in the wet was hopeless - yes it stopped ok but you could not turn right with any sort of brisk acceleration (the wheels just spun) so had to wait, & wait, & ... zzz

And! The fronts wore out in 20,000. I replaced with F1s and they were 60% worn at 20,000 when I sold the car. More grips AND more tyre life. Any savings in fuel were lost in chewed tyres.

Michelin make tyre especially aimed at high mileage and economy which is a very hard compound and low friction tread pattern which has been proven to give similar gains.

It's probably a combination of all sorts of things in your favour IMO.

But he's fitted Goodyear Eagle F1s :p

Perhaps the warmer weather has increased engine efficiency and reduced electrical useage.

I would have thought:

Warmer air is less dense, so less to push through.
Tyres and the air in them would expand (marginally) more, if tyres are over-inflated there is slightly less in contact with the road - so less friction to overcome.

But

More a/c use (if applicable) would use more fuel.
Warmer tarmac and tyres will stick better, resulting in more friction to overcome, opposite for cold weather.
Colder air would be more dense, resulting in better combustion.

This is just random crap falling out of my brain, though, and could be a load of arse gravy.

I would have thought:

Warmer air is less dense, so less to push through.
Tyres and the air in them would expand (marginally) more, if tyres are over-inflated there is slightly less in contact with the road - so less friction to overcome.

But

More a/c use (if applicable) would use more fuel.
Warmer tarmac and tyres will stick better, resulting in more friction to overcome, opposite for cold weather.
Colder air would be more dense, resulting in better combustion.

This is just random crap falling out of my brain, though, and could be a load of arse gravy.

I'd agree with above, but people moan they get worse mpg in the cold winter months. I can't see how though.

Letting their car idle for 10 minutes or so before driving off, whilst getting the windscreen defrosted and the interior toasty?! Not something I do personally...

I do that every morning before I put the kids in the car to take my son to school. :D

Over the last few weeks the sun has been shinning and I still let it tick over ... :eek:

Back