Two cars - how to insure?

Currently reading:
Two cars - how to insure?

I'm considering getting a second car next year but keeping the Brava on as well. One will be on the road for a few months while the other is off and then swap for a bit, then swap again etc etc. What's the best way of insuring them both for cheapness and lack of hassle?

Also, do all insurers offer fire and theft only insurance? I know of a couple that do but am not sure if all do as I've never needed it personally.

yeah you can get fire and theft only.
perhaps you should look for an insurer who doesnt charge or charge a lot for changing vehicles if your talking of running one for months at a time.
often its not a lot ot add a 2nd car especially if its 3rd party F&T on limited mileage

Neither car is going third party :eek: All fully comp :D Though the offroad one will be fire and theft only. Do you think then it's best to have them both on the same policy with the same insurer and chop and change up and down as required? Because then both can use the same NCB? And which insurers are cheap to chop and change?

I haven't decided what I'm getting yet, plus it's still a way off. There are a few choices so for now I'll just have to be very general.

So I would be better using the Brava's NCB for the new car which will be bigger and more costly to insure and start the Brava on a new policy (potentially) elsewhere? Plus if I offroad them, I've been told they still accrue NCB, correct?

HUGE thanks by the way, I've never needed anything as complex as this before, just a Cinq for 3 weeks on the Brava policy which wasn't much hassle!

dawn_of_time said:
Mine and Kevs 2 cars are insured by Admiral multicar insurance and its saved us £300+

Dawn, do the cars have to be in the same owners name or registered at the same address?

Only asking as If I could get mini-fleet insurance sorted for my renewal (taking on my parents two cars)...I can get a couple of convertibles to play with!!

aob, depends on the policy, mine lets me insure my self on any car regardless of who owns & its registered address as long as the cars 'normal' location is on 'my' property (rented garage etc).

Helz, multi-car policy with a limited milage on one or both cars could work out rather cheap....

Thanks for the suggestions, limited mileage is definitely the way to go as both will only be doing half of what I do now on this car (obviously) and will work out easier than having to swap them over all the time (though I can possibly do that as well). Now I have to get my list of mods out and bang my head against a few brick walls.

Last edited:
I haven't rung round yet (because I know I'll need to set a full day aside for it), stuck with getting quotes off the net to see what I can and can't afford for now. For those who try putting lower risk people on to make it cheaper, I tried with my 60y/o never had an accident or claim, had licence since year dot, owned silly cars and 5million years protected no claims Dad as a named driver and the quotes went up, substantially :eek: It'll just be me driving it then :D

I would also pay less on a 2.3l 2003 Mazda than I pay now for my 1.2l 2000 Brava :rolleyes:

Last edited:
custard said:
NCD can only be applied to one vehicle regardless of the same policy or seperate.
really depends on the insurer and costs involved

Not always true Custard, for a while I had my Cavalier on a cherished car policy which required no NCB at all (Graham sykes insurance)

This year I switched to HIC and now have it on a mixed policy (giving the best of a classic policy and an everday one), They have given me the same NCB entitlement on the Cavalier as on my main car ie full :D

Back