Panda (Classic) twin sunnie late model [M681 WFR]

Currently reading:
Panda (Classic) twin sunnie late model [M681 WFR]

It's turning out to be a PITA, I have got the bumper brackets to straighten up the bumper, the sale includes two doors so the broken drivers window is sorted, bonnet is ok dented, no damage to radiator though I suspect the headlight aim will have been affected.

The Peterborough iva/vosa isn't open on a saturday :(

The seller would probably never have claimed on his insurance had they known the trouble it causes.

Cheapest trailering quote is £162 so far though doubt it will get any better.

Dammit! I was really looking forward to this one too!

Have you tried shiply? I found that the longer I left it and if I was flexible with dates companies were falling over themselves to bid lower for the job

My insurance company won't insure this without a Vehicle inspection certificate sight of the MOT and proof it has been professionally repaired.

Basically I'm stuffed for a collection by train and then driving it home.

The owner was unaware of this and his insurer had reinsured him for the vehicle so presumably his insurance is invalid too?

Looks like I've wasted money on train ticket :mad:

I'll get some transporter quotes.

Already arranged for a joiner to put gates in the garden fence too!

Did the insurance company ask you if it'd be subject to a write off or did you break the golden rule of offering this information voluntarily? The law changed on 6/4/13 and if the information is required then the insurer has to ask it, you don't have to volunteer the information.

You DO NOT (ever) have to disclose any information unless you're asked for it, so take no all, don't give any more information than that you're ever asked for.

Go to another insurer, and insure it as you would any other car, without mentioning anything other than that which you're ask (y)

The current owner probably hasn't mentioned it as they've no requirement to do so unless asked.

I'm using anyvan for the quotes.

Yes I did volunteer the information.

I did try an online quote but it did ask if the vehicle had ever been written off there.

So being dishonest by omitting the truth will not invalidate my insurance then?

Not something I'm comfortable with doing, I've never wittingly driven a car without insurance tax and mot in place!

I'm using anyvan for the quotes.

Yes I did volunteer the information.

I did try an online quote but it did ask if the vehicle had ever been written off there.

So being dishonest by omitting the truth will not invalidate my insurance then?

Not something I'm comfortable with doing, I've never wittingly driven a car without insurance tax and mot in place!

Yes it will!! Jon said you don't have to volunteer the information (which is interesting), unless you are asked for it. If they ask if it's been written off you have to answer yes, if they don't ask it's their tough luck! You are always asked if it's modified so if you don't tell them that, your insurance is (quite rightly in my view) likely to be invalidated.

So you need to find an insurer who doesn't ask - why aren't you looking at classic policies? I've never been asked if a car has been written off on any classic policy, then again I don't recall any of the mainstream insurers asking me either - stop going to dodgy insurers! :p

Last edited:
Eer, I don't mean to put a spanner in the works but I'm going to have to sell my red twin sunnies colour. Never ever been welded anywhere and not a spot of rust on it, even the doors :eek: I'm going to put up an add in the next couple of days but it's in London still and I'd want £500 for it as it is (to a regular forumer) so might be to far away for you?

Eer, I don't mean to put a spanner in the works but I'm going to have to sell my red twin sunnies colour. Never ever been welded anywhere and not a spot of rust on it, even the doors :eek: I'm going to put up an add in the next couple of days but it's in London still and I'd want £500 for it as it is (to a regular forumer) so might be to far away for you?

is it an injected or carbed model Jamie?

Yes it will!! Jon said you don't have to volunteer the information (which is interesting), unless you are asked for it. If they ask if it's been written off you have to answer yes, if they don't ask it's their tough luck! You are always asked if it's modified so if you don't tell them that, your insurance is (quite rightly in my view) likely to be invalidated.

So you need to find an insurer who doesn't ask - why aren't you looking at classic policies? I've never been asked if a car has been written off on any classic policy, then again I don't recall any of the mainstream insurers asking me either - stop going to dodgy insurers! :p

:yeahthat:

Long and short if they don't ask then they can't hold it against you. It's not being dishonest. If it was that important and relevant then they'd ask.

We've insured at least 3 write offs (2 CAT-C and a CAT-D) in the last 5 years without issue, and none have been disclosed as we're never asked. In addition to this unless you've done a HPi check or the pervious owner tells you, then you've no way of knowing this yourself. There are thousands of write offs out there that have been insured without issue. More worryingly there are even extensively damaged cars which are not written off and dangerously repaired, also being insured without issue :(

is it an injected or carbed model Jamie?

Injected, I think all the Colours were the later injected spi's on an M plate.
It failed its mot about a year ago on headlight aim, ball joint dust cover split and emissions high. I put a new lambda sensor on it a few weeks before I moved to try and sort it for mot but ran out of time with moving to Devon.

If the VIC flag came up without provocation it's on the insurance database.

If this is the case the MOT won't be valid and that will be on the DVLA vehicle checker page.

DVLA said:
Vehicle make FIAT
Date of first registration 30 June 1995
Year of manufacture 1995
Cylinder capacity (cc) 999cc
CO₂Emissions Not available
Fuel type PETROL
Export marker No
Vehicle status Taxed and due
Vehicle colour RED
Vehicle type approval Not available

Tax Expires 01/12/2014
M.O.T Expires 02/06/2015

No red flags over the MOT there so your insurers may have clicked the wrong button or the collision was never declared.

Here's a thing. My Fantasia is £124 fully comp' the Meerkats want £620 for the Panda Colour. That's a bit stupid for a £300 car.

Not the case, being a write off doesn't affect the MOT ;)

That's stupid. The M.O.T is supposed to be a statement of the vehicles condition the day of the test. If it's been written off then the case of it road worthiness should be questioned by VOSA and DVLA.

In theory you could put a car through a compactor and still sell it as having test on it. :doh:

That's stupid.

No it isn't.

The M.O.T is supposed to be a statement of the vehicles condition the day of the test.

Exactly, so why should it have to be retested? Just because its written off doesn't mean its unroadworthy. Could have been stolen recovered, or subject to a vandal scratching some lovely writing into a body panel. These don't make the car unroadworthy in any way.

Half of me wants to just go and get the bloody car and drive it home.

The other half says sod it, not meant to be!

100% of me is rather tee'd off at the amount of cash down the drain for a useless train ticket :(

This one would be too much trouble for me, too rich for my blood!

That being said there are positives to it, and I hope you do well out the situation

Last edited:
Back