Technical Twin Air Fuel capacity

Currently reading:
Technical Twin Air Fuel capacity

I'd do the same if it mean't 1 more day to the petrol station :)

At the speeds I drive, it'd probably take you an extra day to get there :D.

I once tried brimming a car* (not a 500). Noticing the amount of fuel venting out of the overflow after I'd parked up in the sun, it wasn't something I was too eager to repeat.

Remember that the fuel coming from underground tank at the filling station will be relatively cold. The coefficient of thermal expansion for petrol is about 0.00095/degC, so if you brim the car (let's say say 40litres), park up immediately after refuelling and the fuel temperature rises by 20C, the increase in volume is .00095x40x20 = 0.76l.
That's three-quarters of a litre, or about a pint & a third - just where do you expect it's going to go?

*Actually I have tried this more than once

Last edited:
Yup. I never brim it unless I know I'm going to have at least 10 miles to go till home or I know that the temp of the fuel isn't significantly lower than the outside temperature.

I once tried brimming a car* (not a 500). Noticing the amount of fuel venting out of the overflow after I'd parked up in the sun, it wasn't something I was too eager to repeat.

Remember that the fuel coming from underground tank at the filling station will be relatively cold. The coefficient of thermal expansion for petrol is about 0.00095/degC, so if you brim the car (let's say say 40litres), park up immediately after refuelling and the fuel temperature rises by 20C, the increase in volume is .00095x40x20 = 0.76l.
That's three-quarters of a litre, or about a pint & a third - just where do you expect it's going to go?

My uncle, in the 40c turkish summer, never fills the car up more than half tank. When i asked him why, he said the fuel will just melt away in the sun.

Thank's for the explanation JR and given the current temperatures it would be best not be squeezing the last drop of petrol into tank.

The only time that I had an issue with the small tank on the 500 was on 'round trips' but around the town it wasn't an issue. Having a small tank means less fuel and having less weight makes the car a bit more sprightly. Most of the performance testing done on cars is with half tanks and 2 passengers. But at least sometimes you have the choice of not taking a passenger to keep the weight down.:D
In the MiTo it doesn't matter with a 45L tank and acres of power.:devil:

Memories, you are taking me back to my oil accountancy days when I work at the oil refinery on Teesside.:D

Memories, you are taking me back to my oil accountancy days when I work at the oil refinery on Teesside.:D

Is there any difference in buying your petrol first thing in the morning or later on during the day as regards what you would be getting for your litre ?

Does diesel have the same expansion as petrol ?

Is there any difference in buying your petrol first thing in the morning or later on during the day as regards what you would be getting for your litre ?

Theoretically yes, fuel is sold by volume so the colder the fuel, the greater the density & the more energy you'll be getting for your money. However, I doubt the temperature in the underground tanks will vary by more than a degree or two - like a wine cellar, I'd expect to see bulk storage temps in the region of 10C.

Does diesel have the same expansion as petrol ?

Not quite, the coefficient of expansion for diesel fuel is about 0.00082/degC

Most of the performance testing done on cars is with half tanks and 2 passengers.

FIAT's official fuel consumption testing is done with an eggcupful of fuel by an anorexic dwarf.

Last edited:
FIAT's official fuel consumption testing is done with an eggcupful of fuel by an anorexic dwarf.

Lol!
I immediately had a mental image of a leprechaun, and a brightly-coloured eggcup being emptied into the tank.

Another part of the official test is the tyres pumped up to 100psi, and don't ignore the articulated truck that happens to be driving less than one metre in front.

-Alex

Lol!
I immediately had a mental image of a leprechaun, and a brightly-coloured eggcup being emptied into the tank.

Another part of the official test is the tyres pumped up to 100psi, and don't ignore the articulated truck that happens to be driving less than one metre in front.

-Alex

I'll bet they don't use fuel containing any ethanol, either!

Back