Technical turbo tipo

Currently reading:
Technical turbo tipo

tipo-man

i have noticed on youtube.com there are alot of turbo tipos, does any1 know if they are just bolting on turbos or if they are just doing a whole engine swap, if they are bolt on turbos, what care are they getting them from, i was wondering if an uno turbo would bost straight on to my 1.4 ie m-reg?

i think most of the ones on youtube are 2 litre turbos. either way i'd imagine it'd be possible to put a 1.4 uno turbo engine into a tipo which would be more straightforward than trying to adapt your current engine. i'd assume the engine being almost identical apart from the extra parts for the turbo etc. also if you're doing that i'd assume you'd need all new electrics and injectors etc. so all in all quite a big job. you'd be better off buying a sedicivalvole (if spelt right?) which would be cheaper. and give about the same, if not better performance. it'd also have larger brakes. (discs all round, compared to the disc/drums of 1.4s) etc etc

From what I know the 1.4 litre engine (1372cc) is the same engine Punto GT had, equipped of course with a turbo. Is iy possible to take some parts from a Punto GT engine, fit them on a Tipo engine and create a Tipo GT; What I would like to know is whether these two engines have also different internal parts or if the only differnece between them is the existence of a turbo.

It talked to some1 that has an uno turbo engine spare(tried to see if it would fit in a 1.6 punto but didnt work so baught a gt engine) the difference between my 1.4 ie and other ones is my one has a distributer down by the crank just like the uno turbos, so it would be possible to just change the head, ECU, inlet and exhaust manifold, there would be more compresion though. im not just talking about bolting one on, i know its alot more complicated but im wanting to try something different than simply replacing the whole engine. i wouldnt have to replace the wires because its the same size engine, if i was puting a 1.6+ i would have to. Brakes........ ill get to that another time, i read the thread on bravo brakes.

Hellcat said:
er...

In what respect? It's down on the 16v by power, torque, flexibility.
16V makes more torque, but its way up the rev range. 8v is much more torquey where you need it. In a lot of respect, the 8V is more flexable with oodles of torque from near idle.
There is this misconception that 16v is the way forward. Its all a myth. 16v engines will never match 8v engines for torque at low revs due to slow air velocity caused by the smaller valves. Indeed, a well ported 8v engine will leave a 16v engine for dead!!
Have alook at the 8v turbo engine's torque compared to the 16v turbo torque to see what iam getting at.
Oh, 16v bottom ends as we all know, go bang for no apparant reason. 8v bottom ends are bullet proof.

Andy.:)

Ive seen enough 8V's with big end problems to think there is no difference between the 2.

16V will make more power. massive torque at low rpm is not always a great thing for FWD Tipos.

4troxoi said:
From what I know the 1.4 litre engine (1372cc) is the same engine Punto GT had, equipped of course with a turbo. Is iy possible to take some parts from a Punto GT engine, fit them on a Tipo engine and create a Tipo GT; What I would like to know is whether these two engines have also different internal parts or if the only differnece between them is the existence of a turbo.

The internal differences are pistons and oil jets, and probably the headgasket. The valves and guides etc may also be made of different material but its not all that important unless it has a lot of power.

Tipo blocks and heads do get used to rebuild 1372cc turbo engines

Turbo Tipos on youtube are all twin cams afaik. most seem to be 2L 16Vs but there is a 1756 16V and my one, a 2L 8V

SteveNZ said:
Ive seen enough 8V's with big end problems to think there is no difference between the 2.

16V will make more power. massive torque at low rpm is not always a great thing for FWD Tipos.
Not talking massive torque Steve, but a more useable torque or what is available under the torque curve. 8V tends to have a flatter and fatter torque curve for everyday driving. I love both 2.0 ltr 8V and 16V engines. I love the torque spikes on the 16V as it starts to come on cam at 2400rpm, then again at 4500rpm and again at 5700rpm. Well thats what my 91 model did. Pre 93 models had a different ECU, and with a bit more power, were def a racy engine.

Andy.:)

this thread is about fiting a turbo not 8v and 16v, anyone that is buying a car they want to race with will buy a 16v because its more powerful, a 8v is good on fuel and everyday driving but it cant stand up to a 16v on the track.

tipo-man said:
i have noticed on youtube.com there are alot of turbo tipos, does any1 know if they are just bolting on turbos or if they are just doing a whole engine swap, if they are bolt on turbos, what care are they getting them from, i was wondering if an uno turbo would bost straight on to my 1.4 ie m-reg?

back to the main subject i thinks,,,, stick a hf turbo unit in,

we dont care which is better, i want some usable ideas on how to fit a turbo on my tipo, and dont go saying swap the engine, i rely cant be bothred swaping the whole thing although it would be quicker i dont have an engine hoist and cant get one ether. if i just swap the head, ecu, exhaust manifold, and put turbo ones on would it work? no more about 16 and 8 valves OK.

tipo-man said:
we dont care which is better, i want some usable ideas on how to fit a turbo on my tipo, and dont go saying swap the engine, i rely cant be bothred swaping the whole thing although it would be quicker i dont have an engine hoist and cant get one ether. if i just swap the head, ecu, exhaust manifold, and put turbo ones on would it work? no more about 16 and 8 valves OK.
Let me say it this way so you know.
To turbo your 1.4, you need to spend about £2000-£3000 on the engine. This includes new pistons, rings, block reworked, crank, bearings, rods, cam, valves, springs, head reworked, new valve seats etc, Turbo, manifold, injector rail, inlet manifold, ECU. The list goes on.
Other way is to get a turbo engine, and ECU, and hire an engine crane to do the swap. Much much cheaper.

Andy.

Back