Trying to create new speaker setup - Help needed.

Currently reading:
Trying to create new speaker setup - Help needed.

Hi everybody, this is my first ever thread in the Fiat Forum, which I am loving by the way! :D I hope some of you can be of help to me.

Basically I recently bought a Punto MK2B 2003 model and the standard speakers are not the best, so I want to upgrade these. I have little knowledge on speakers so would appreciate any help that is given. All I would like to have is a system that can be played reasonably loud with little sound quality loss. The standard ones can barely be played on half volume without the sound quality decreasing very noticeably and they don't have as much bass as I would like.

I don't have a lot of money to play around with so I bought a 'Sony CDX-GT26' head unit recently which is 4x45w.

At the moment I'm not worried about a subwoofer because I will be using the boot and need the space. And I'm looking at JBL speakers all around. I'll add the mounting depths as well so you can tell me if they will fit in the existing speakers holes.

I was thinking of buying (I did try put in URL's but it said i wasn't allowed. I found these on the uk dot jbl dot com website):

JBL GTO938 6x9s for the parcel shelf

JBL GTO428 tweeters to obviously replace the standard tweeters
(Mounting Depth - 51mm)

JBL GTO6528 speakers to replace the door speakers
(Mounting Depth - 59mm)

I have just read something about getting component speakers instead of coxial but I still dont really understand the pros and cons and if it would even be worth it for me. If components would be better than buying the door and tweeters separately would these be any good:

JBL GTO6508C
(Mounting Depth - Woofer/Tweeter 59/39mm)

If i do ever get a subwoofer which I probably won't, it would be a cheap one like this:

JBL GTO804

This will be a slow process as I don't have lots of money at a time to spend so which would I be better off upgrading first?

I'm guessing these would need more power than the standard speakers to operate at the higher volumes, but would the head unit power be enough for reasonably loud sound, or do you recommend me getting an AMP? Also this is probably a dumb question but how many AMP's would I need? :doh:

If I did get an AMP it would probably be this one due to lower price:

JBL GT5A604E
(4 Channel)

So would anybody be able to advise me on this subject, if so I would appreciate it so much as I don't want to spend all that money and then be told I should have done this or that and have to shell out more money to change it.

Thanks for reading guys and thanks in advance for any help/suggestions you may have :)

Ash

JBL are very good for the budget. You may need a spacer for anything above 51mm mounting depth.
Components will be your best bet for up front as the seperate speakers make for a better more localised sound.

I would start off with the components, and then asap get an amp as they would need amping.

If your considering getting a sub then dont bother with the 6x9's as they are only used for a bit of cheap bass when people dont want a sub.
With all that in mind, you will have a lovely front end which will be loud enough for the whole car. You wont need any of the mid and treble in the rear as it should all be up front for the correct sound stage, which means most 6x9's would be going away from this rule as they play full range.
You can get 6x9" subs though. ;)

Thanks for the advice buddy. I'll take your advice then and order the components first. When you say i'll need spacers, what are these and where would I get them and how many would I need for each speaker?

With the AMP should I just get a 2-channel one for the components in the front or do I need a 4-channel one? Also will I be able to hook a sub to the AMP or does it have to be a sub specific AMP?

Thanks for the help dude (y)

Edit:

Would these spacers be fine?

www(dot)passionauto.co.uk/products/autoleads-sa-006-165mm-car-speaker-adaptor-mount-spacers.html

Edit 2:

Or I even found these...

www(dot)passionauto.co.uk/products/autoleads-sak-1411bk-fiat-punto-front-speaker-adaptors.html

Last edited:
Hmm can nobody help? :(

Another question is can two 4ohm and two 2ohm speakers by powered by the same amp?

The 2ohm speakers would be the JBL GTO 6508c
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-GTO-6508c-17cm-210w-6-5-Car-Components-Speaker-/160727628081?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item256c1cf931

And the 4ohm are Sony XS-F6937SE
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/ics-speakers/xs-f6937se

Went for 6x9's because i probably wont be getting a sub.

I was looking at this sub as its cheap as i said above:
http://uk.jbl.com/jbl-product-detail-uk/gt5-a402e-.html

Cheers
Ash

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi mate, if im honest, I started to get confused when ohms etc comes into it.

But just looking, im pretty sure that amp is only a 2 channel amp? will you not be needing a 4 channel amp to power the 4 speakers. E.g. I have my front components running on channel 1 + 2 with my sub running on 3.

Even if you ran the 4ohms bridged in 2 ohm, I think the speakers will be quite underpowered and not running at their potential.

Im sure someone will come with a proper answer, ill keep digging and see if i can find anything.

I found a couple of things, first is this site:

http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/221884.html

"you can not run 2 speakers together(4ohm + 4ohm=2ohm) bridged on most amps, they are stable at 2ohms per channel. Normally you do not run speakers parrall, they will likely be out of phase. if that is a 2 channel amp, then run front speakers to 1 channel and rears to 2nd channel(2ohm load)"

And another from ehow about mixing different rated speakers on the same amp:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7907548_mix-different-ohm-speakers.html

This states:

"While you can connect a mix of speakers with different ohm ratings, the best sound quality will come from equally rated speakers connected in pairs, such as two 8-ohm speakers connected to Speaker A on the amp or receiver and two 4-ohm speakers hooked up to Speaker B"
"
Do not connect a mix of speakers that results in an ohm load less than the minimum rated on the amplifier. If you do, the amplifier will work harder to drive the speakers, causing premature wear and possible burn-out of the equipment"

Sorry for all this babble, I just cant find a definative answer, only short answers that may help :(

Last edited:
I would start off with the components, and then asap get an amp as they would need amping.
(y)

Couple of ones to look at.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/5019.html

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/508.html

I currently run the Fli's which are a straight fit. All they need is the connection changed, I.E cut the wires just before the yellow connector block, strip wire, solder/crimp spade connectors onto them.

Remember, all new speakers need burning in, don't plug them in and blare your music at full volume because you will break them!

Last edited:
Hi mate, if im honest, I started to get confused when ohms etc comes into it.

But just looking, im pretty sure that amp is only a 2 channel amp? will you not be needing a 4 channel amp to power the 4 speakers. E.g. I have my front components running on channel 1 + 2 with my sub running on 3.

Even if you ran the 4ohms bridged in 2 ohm, I think the speakers will be quite underpowered and not running at their potential.

Im sure someone will come with a proper answer, ill keep digging and see if i can find anything.

I found a couple of things, first is this site:

http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/221884.html

"you can not run 2 speakers together(4ohm + 4ohm=2ohm) bridged on most amps, they are stable at 2ohms per channel. Normally you do not run speakers parrall, they will likely be out of phase. if that is a 2 channel amp, then run front speakers to 1 channel and rears to 2nd channel(2ohm load)"

And another from ehow about mixing different rated speakers on the same amp:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7907548_mix-different-ohm-speakers.html

This states:

"While you can connect a mix of speakers with different ohm ratings, the best sound quality will come from equally rated speakers connected in pairs, such as two 8-ohm speakers connected to Speaker A on the amp or receiver and two 4-ohm speakers hooked up to Speaker B"
"
Do not connect a mix of speakers that results in an ohm load less than the minimum rated on the amplifier. If you do, the amplifier will work harder to drive the speakers, causing premature wear and possible burn-out of the equipment"

Sorry for all this babble, I just cant find a definative answer, only short answers that may help :(

Yeah I thought that I would need speakers with the same ohm rating.

I think I will just power the front components with the amp and the 6x9's from the head unit. Is that possible? I think 've read people say that this is possible. I read that its good for the sound stage aswell, most of the volume will be up front rather than all around.

(y)

Couple of ones to look at.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/5019.html

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/508.html

I currently run the Fli's which are a straight fit. All they need is the connection changed, I.E cut the wires just before the yellow connector block, strip wire, solder/crimp spade connectors onto them.

Remember, all new speakers need burning in, don't plug them in and blare your music at full volume because you will break them!

Ah wicked, the FLI's seem more affordable than the JBL's. Do you know how they compare in sound quality and volume to the JBL's? Just wondering if I should pay a little more for better quality. But if the FLI's are a straight fit then that stops the need for getting spacers and what not to make them fit like I would need to for the JBL's.

And yeah im careful with the volume at first, dont have them relly loud too often anyways :D

Cheers guys

Yeah I thought that I would need speakers with the same ohm rating.

I think I will just power the front components with the amp and the 6x9's from the head unit. Is that possible? I think 've read people say that this is possible. I read that its good for the sound stage aswell, most of the volume will be up front rather than all around.

Cheers guys

yeah thats fine. I had my sub off the amp and speakers from the HU at first.

sorry for the post above mate, if i could have answered straight to the point i would lol

Ah wicked, the FLI's seem more affordable than the JBL's. Do you know how they compare in sound quality and volume to the JBL's? Just wondering if I should pay a little more for better quality. But if the FLI's are a straight fit then that stops the need for getting spacers and what not to make them fit like I would need to for the JBL's.

And yeah im careful with the volume at first, dont have them relly loud too often anyways :D

Cheers guys

I can personally say the Fli's are very good for the price range. I cannot compare to the JBL's as i haven't had them but you can compare specifications of both.

I would always go for a speaker that fits snug without adaption or modification so you do not risk having play or odd vibrations around the modification you have made.

I can take a picture of how mine so you can see how they look installed. Even thought you will probably have the grill infront of the anyway :yum:

yeah thats fine. I had my sub off the amp and speakers from the HU at first.

sorry for the post above mate, if i could have answered straight to the point i would lol

Ah wicked that should be alright then :) thanks for the help man.

Haha no worries, I need all the help I can get and it answered my question :D

I can personally say the Fli's are very good for the price range. I cannot compare to the JBL's as i haven't had them but you can compare specifications of both.

I would always go for a speaker that fits snug without adaption or modification so you do not risk having play or odd vibrations around the modification you have made.

I can take a picture of how mine so you can see how they look installed. Even thought you will probably have the grill infront of the anyway :yum:

Yeah thats true. I will need to look up what speaker adapter to get if i decide to get the JBL's.

Yeah if you can show me a pic that would be cool. When you say about the grill do you mean the stock speaker grills or the ones that come with the speakers? If that makes sense lol.

Thanks (y)

Back