Technical Trouble with gear selection

Currently reading:
Technical Trouble with gear selection

puntok96

Hi guys,

Very happy with my Seicento but having some trouble with the gears.

It's a struggle to get into all of the gears when the car is stationary/at low speed - I know people struggle with fifth but I find it the easiest one?! I have to ram the stick as far left as it will go before the car engages first and sometimes it just doesn't bother.

It is also like 1st and 2nd are miles away from 3rd/4th, which seem to be so close that I can't really tell them apart while driving. The clutch bite point is also really low which feels related to me, as far as I know it's not long had a new clutch but is it possible that it's the issue? My first thought was a linkage issue or perhaps a master cylinder issue but I am no expert so I'm hoping someone here has had the same problem! Thanks!

If the gears are difficult to select, then (apart from a severe gearbox issue) it's most likey to be a clutch-related problem.

I thought Seicento has a cable operated clutch... If so, you should try adjusting it so that the bite point is 1/3 of the way up from the floor. The adjuster might be loose and it could just be unwinding itself gradually.

If the clutch is hydraulic, then bleed the slave cylinder and/or replace it if that doesn't make any difference.

Ralf S.

Thanks both for these suggestions, it seems to be improving with use as the owner before me hadn't touched it for six months but obviously it still needs doing. I'll look at it ASAP cheers guys

Thanks both for these suggestions, it seems to be improving with use as the owner before me hadn't touched it for six months but obviously it still needs doing. I'll look at it ASAP cheers guys

Sounds like the clutch is not engaging sufficiently, cable may have stretched and needs adjusting, or the cable needs re-routing.

Sounds like the clutch is not engaging sufficiently, cable may have stretched and needs adjusting, or the cable needs re-routing.

Thanks, prob defo clutch related then. It's booked in before new year at a family member's garage so i'll put up more info when I know (y)

Back