Technical Tranny problems

Currently reading:
Technical Tranny problems

ktanner

Hey Mr. X or whoever is reading this, I was just donated a 1980 fuel injected x-1/9 Bentone to start doing some auto-x racing, but the transmission isnt working. I read in your previous post you have a spare transmission laying around, do you still have that and if so would you be willing to part with it for a resonable price? If not do you know what the problem could be? It is very difficult to shift out of second gear, but it is possible, so I dont think a fork is to blame. When I try to shift into 3,4,5 it grinds real bad, and I cant get it in even when I am stopped. There are only 36 K miles on it so I have a hard time thinking it is the sinkro's, hopefully its just the shifting linkage isnt working quite right. Any suggestions? Thanks

I am very sorry for the extremely late response and I certainly hope you have gotten and answer by now from someone else, but if you haven't please email me and we can talk about it... I was without internet for s little while...

Simply put... you tranny is probably NOT the problem... The shifting linkage normally is it... There is a "lollipop" joint that connects the linkage to the tranny and when it gets old it can crack and not move the forks enough for htem to work properly. Also on the "lollipop" there is one bolt connecting it to the linkage... This bolt "HAS" to be tight. If it is not, it will allow too much play into the motions of the linkage and not shift the tranny properly. Also check your lower motor mount that is mounted under the tranny and help to locate the tranny properly.

Hope this helps...

Later Daze,
Eric Flowers:D
1980 X1/9 "Celeste"

"Real men love hugging tight curves"[}:)]

Actually I tried putting in a new shift linkage, and still did not work, so I deopped the transmission and took her apart and saw that some of the forks were actually bent. The car's been setting in my garage for a while now, just finished finals so I put in a new one last night and this morning. It seems to be working, but I need to adjust the clutch, do you have any suggestions for an easy way to move those nuts on the slave cylinder? I am trying to do all this myself and I can not figure out a way to get the compression off them so I can move the nuts out. Let me know, thanks

-KT

Just finished pulling the transmission out of the car for he third time, getting real good at it. The shift linkage would not move, so I tore apart about half the transmission and found a spring that was jammed, put it back together. The car should be running in a few days, jst have to put the transmission back in and do some final adjustments. If anyone has questions about the process of dropping and tearing down the transmission let me know, and I can probably help.

tanner_kevin11@hotmail
-KT

Sounds like you are gaining a world of experience... I have a link to the procedure that Steve H. uses and says it is the most effecient way to get one out and in. It might be a bit late from the sounds of everything you have been writing. I am waiting for some parts to arrive for my X and will hopefully be screaming around the "hood" [}:)]

Later Daze,
Eric Flowers:D
1980 X1/9 "Celeste"

"Real men love hugging tight curves"[}:)]

Back