Technical Tracking down rod

Currently reading:
Technical Tracking down rod

So I am trying to find a part 4x4 part on ebay (or elsewhere for that matter) but I cant find any anywhere so far, eper refers to it as a "strut" which is "no longer available" and the haynes manual refers to it as a "radius rod"

FgAmVWA.jpg

To try to stay ahead of the game while the car is in for welding I figured I would buy two of these if they were available as the rubber bushes on mine look very worn (cracked rubber) though my dad pointed out that looking and being worn are different, as if there is no play in it then it should be fine in terms of an MOT, so I will test them on the car when I get it back. However my curiousity is piqued by how to find these if I do need them. Does anyone have any ideas or even better ebay links? Ive tried using various search terms but cant find anything that matches visually.

You can just replace the rubber bush, you don't need the complete rod, the bushes just slide over the rod, if you remove one all will become clear. Make sure you take note of the spacers behind the bush, these set the castor angle and you need to put them back exactly the same.

Your Dad is correct, the outer part can look very badly perished, but you will probably find the bush is fine in the middle where it matters(y)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
You can just replace the rubber bush, you don't need the complete rod, the bushes just slide over the rod, if you remove one all will become clear. Make sure you take note of the spacers behind the bush, these set the castor angle and you need to put them back exactly the same.

Your Dad is correct, the outer part can look very badly perished, but you will probably find the bush is fine in the middle where it matters(y)

Properly hens teeth! Both of mine sheared on Grumbleweed (note, stiffer bushes may not be a great idea). Got lucky on one on ebay UK, then waited months until another one finally came up on Italian ebay. Very difficult to source. As above though the rubbers will change easily enough:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290775514779?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Fantastic info chaps, thanks so much!!! This will doubtless save me money and time wasted looking for unobtanium! :) will try the bushes for play and if so I will get those new bushes, perfect :)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
i have a set, but i bet they are in worse condition than yours! just put tiger seal around them, filling in the cracks.. it will be fine >_<

I will do that to the ones I take off to keep as spares and just fit the new ones, so excited as once the welding is done it's just a case of fitting parts and then mot :) that said there is a difference between roadworthy and where I want it to be so will still be a bit of a haul

Back