Technical Track Control Arms

Currently reading:
Technical Track Control Arms

Hi, I have been trying to remove the right hand track control arm on my Uno, but having problems with taking off the rear mount. The two main 16mm bolts come out easily enough but there is a small 10mm nut just inboard that also needs to be taken off. On mine the stud/bolt that it attaches to is spinning with the nut, and the nut won't come undone, and can't find the other end of it. Does anyone know what it's there for, and how i can remove it? Otherwise it may be time to chop it off with the grinder and hope it's not doing a vital job... ;)

Thannks for any help,
Mike

Ahh the stupid little bolt... my favourite part of this job :bang:

I don't think it does a vital job, but it should still be there. Just hose it down in WD40 then use your fingers to hold the other end of the bolt still while you undo the nut. It is possible to get some pliers in there and hold it if your fingers aren't doing the job.

Doing it up is easier, just make sure the thread is clean, hold the bolt steady with your fingers and do up the nut.

Quote from Haynes mini manual "If when carrying out this job, you wish you had very long, thin fingers it wont be the last"

I am sure the bolt was rusty and broken long before I got to wishbone change, therefore I think that it is not a vital part (but do not bet your life on it).
My another (possibly too daring :eek: ) theory is that it may be a legacy of a manufacturing line procedure - maybe it was used to attach the wishbone temporarily by Giacomo on the workstation 1 before Calogero finished the operation on workstation 1 + X :confused: ?

(CZ)enda said:
I am sure the bolt was rusty and broken long before I got to wishbone change, therefore I think that it is not a vital part (but do not bet your life on it).
My another (possibly too daring :eek: ) theory is that it may be a legacy of a manufacturing line procedure - maybe it was used to attach the wishbone temporarily by Giacomo on the workstation 1 before Calogero finished the operation on workstation 1 + X :confused: ?

damn you calogero, damn you to hades for not removing that bolt!

All done, i managed to make room to get a 10mm spanner on the end of the nut. No more clonks! I think you're right (CZ)enda, it doesn't do much as the two bigger bolts take all the load, indeed I think Calogero et al didn't bother taking it off after production. Lazy sod. I shall look forward to the drive to Uni tomorrow rather than knocks and bangs over every bump...

Cheers for the help, Mike

Whenever i have done this job, i just get the griner out and then it makes the job much easier next time or at the side of stage !
Never had any problems with the clamp coming loose becuase of the lack of bolts (touching wood).

Cheers

Matt

Back