Technical Towbar/recall

Currently reading:
Technical Towbar/recall

Thinking of buying a tow bar for my mk2b, had a quick Google and there seems to be two ways they attach to the chassis rail. One has a bar with two nuts that slides into the rail and the other has long bolts that go through the chassis rail and tighten up Inside the boot. I read about a recall to add strengthening braces, can anyone shed any light on this and what did it involve

Thinking of buying a tow bar for my mk2b, had a quick Google and there seems to be two ways they attach to the chassis rail. One has a bar with two nuts that slides into the rail and the other has long bolts that go through the chassis rail and tighten up Inside the boot. I read about a recall to add strengthening braces, can anyone shed any light on this and what did it involve

Most puntos never got bars because of the lower power = Little towing capability
Sure the chassis can tow 1000kg, but the poor 1.2 8v's would certainly struggle LIKE HELL

If you buy a decent kit - like whitter - it should be perfectly fine

Also ensure you use a Light Bypass Relay for the socket - oterhwise you'll have no end of Bulb Malfunction lights on the dashboard :)

Ziggy

Really I got it to pull a twin axle caravan?

It's just for a bike rack really. Got a bypass relay sorted. I got towbar off eBay cheap, it bolts thought the chassis rail with plates on the inside of the boot, there is also plates for where it bolts on the front, I didn't know what plate was part of fiats recall

Most puntos never got bars because of the lower power = Little towing capability
Sure the chassis can tow 1000kg, but the poor 1.2 8v's would certainly struggle LIKE HELL

If you buy a decent kit - like whitter - it should be perfectly fine

Also ensure you use a Light Bypass Relay for the socket - oterhwise you'll have no end of Bulb Malfunction lights on the dashboard :)

Ziggy

also eats your clutch

<SNIP>
. I got towbar off eBay cheap, it bolts thought the chassis rail with plates on the inside of the boot, there is also plates for where it bolts on the front, I didn't know what plate was part of fiats recall

If your car is post 1998 the tow bar has to be type approved or it renders the car illegal even if not used for towing (or anything). Assuming the tow bar is type appoved the fitting should be compliant and include any recall changes. Of course everything on ebay is genuine, approved and safe
devil.gif

Robert G8RPI.

If your car is post 1998 the tow bar has to be type approved or it renders the car illegal even if not used for towing (or anything). Assuming the tow bar is type appoved the fitting should be compliant and include any recall changes. Of course everything on ebay is genuine, approved and safe
devil.gif

Robert G8RPI.

It's a mk2b as per my first post

I just want to know about the recall and what it involved ref strengthening plates

My point (poorly made, sorry) was that if its a type approved design and you install it in accordance with the instructions you don't have to worryabout any Fiat modifications or recalls. In fact if you deviate from the instructions it invalidates the type approval. If you have questions you should ask the manufacturer, not the forum or ebay seller.

Robert G8RPI.

Back