Technical Tipo TD Questions

Currently reading:
Technical Tipo TD Questions

Snap! Just noticed your thread as I've been away over Christmas. I bought a TD SX of 1993 vintage in December and thus far I'm very pleased. Yours was cheaper but mine has a lower mileage and a full history (80,000 miles) so I paid £275 for it. It belonged to a friend's in laws from an early age so I know it's been well looked after too - they logged everything spent on it.

Anyway, mine has the clunking noise too so I'll have to check the wishbones. I changed the glow plugs due to poor starting but it has not made a much of an effect. The white smoke on start up is embarrassing! Any ideas anyone?

I've done a service but not yet changed the fuel filter as I can't find the pump to prime it. I could just crank it over but I was always led to believe that turning the injection pump over without fuel in it can damage it.

I can't scientifically prove this but having run a TD for a number of years I find that the battery and alternator MUST be in absolutley tip top condition otherwise there will deffo be lots of smoke. Interestingly the handbook says depress the accelerator fully immediately on turning the key but who'd want to do that? :eek:

Yes I had noticed that in the handbook too and thought :nutter:

One thing which may be relevant is that the glow plug light does not turn off very quickly. It stays on forever until you start the engine and then it remains on for a little while before turning off. The light which says that the water in the filter is on when you turn the key but goes out after about 5 seconds so I've been using that as a timer for the glow plugs. Should the water in filter light be coming on at all?

In terms of the glow plugs, is there any electronic device that controls them in any way and may be preventing them from heating up?

White smoke when cold is proberly water in the fuel filter due to crappy fuel [you will be suprised how much water is in the tanks at some fuel stations!]. It can also mean you have a slight head gasket blow which seals itself when warm. White smoke is always water. I would first change the fuel filter or drain it from the bottom [there is a tap wheel ]. When renewing the filter, fill halfway with diesel to aid starting.

Andy.:)

Fuel is awful currently. The father in laws Alfa diesel had cloudy diesel in the fuel filter.. it's currently in a jar settling to find out how much water was in it. :eek:

I believe the tipo td is self priming. Get the fuel filter as full as you can when you change it and the engine will draw any air through.

As for the glow plus being on a long time, did you clean the common rail on the glow plugs? check all contacts were clean? The plugs are designed to stay on after the engine has started to post-heat the engine.

It is always a wise precaution for neighbours, small children, fragile or easily alarmed people to be moved indoors before a Tipo TD is started. If you want to increase panic open the bonnet as well. :eek: However I'm sure the smoke will lessen with regular use, some TLC and the checks outlined, mine was appalling when I first got it. But 60k miles on its alot better. Also if the weather is cold as now it is always harder to start a diesel because of the properties of the fuel etc. :)

OK, so reading the above a service involves oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter? Is that it? What would be the best oil to use?

This diesel business is a mystery to me. How does the fuel ignite?

I'm keen to get this on the road and start driving it, it's going on Tuesday for a new exhaust. I sealed the arches and floorpan today. Lying in the rain to do so. Horrible job :yuck: but there is definitely no rust. (y)

OK, so reading the above a service involves oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter? Is that it? What would be the best oil to use?

This diesel business is a mystery to me. How does the fuel ignite?

I'm keen to get this on the road and start driving it, it's going on Tuesday for a new exhaust. I sealed the arches and floorpan today. Lying in the rain to do so. Horrible job :yuck: but there is definitely no rust. (y)

You want a HD oil which means "high detergent". One of the best is Castrol Magnatec GTD 15w/40. Only use a semi synthectic HD oil in it otherwise the oil will break up early and attack the turbo and clog the pipes. Run a bottle of injector cleaner through the fuel tank also. Amazing how much Sh*te this will shift. Sometimes i put 2 bootles through. It helps enormously to bring emissions down. After adding the injector cleaner, take the car for an "Italian tune up", that is a blast at about 80mph for 10-15 miles.
Service the car as well as you say, and all will be good. Dont forget when you service it, to check all rubber hoses for splits and cracks and bulges. Vaseline the battery terminals. If you have a battery tester, test the battery and alternator for health.

Andy.:)

Suddenly had the need to post this pic..

Drove me 100 miles to Sheffield each weekend and the 100 miles back without so much as a stall for a fair part of a year. Only replaced in Aug 2005 due to the purchase of the Sedici, and the clutch being buggered after being replaced by Mr Clutch.

RIP 398sfm..

Attachments

• tipo.JPG
    tipo.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Suddenly had the need to post this pic..

Drove me 100 miles to Sheffield each weekend and the 100 miles back without so much as a stall for a fair part of a year. Only replaced in Aug 2005 due to the purchase of the Sedici, and the clutch being buggered after being replaced by Mr Clutch.

RIP 398sfm..

Awwwww!!!! I hate that!!!
Yes, Mr Clutch would be the last place on earth i would take to get a clutch done. I know of at least 2 people with problems. 1 took them to court, and the case got mentioned in the Manchester Evening News. Mr Clutch lost the case and it cost them over £20,000 in legal costs and bad publicity!!!!!

Andy.

Indeed. Horrible, horrible people.

A guy with a Ford Scorpio joined here just to add his support after his Ford had been made a write off practically by the bodge-ings of Mr Clutch. Seems one franchise is as bad as another.

Anyway, back to Steve's tea pot.

Back