Technical Tipo suspension

Currently reading:
Technical Tipo suspension

4troxoi

First of all i would like to apologize in case a similar thread has been opened again. I' m a new user and i didn' t find anything similar.

I own a Fiat Tipo 1.4 i.e. equiped with Bilstein absorbers (the black ones) and H&R lowering springs (-4 cm).
What i would like to ask is whether someone else can advise me about another possible type of absorbers i can put, that will fit better with my springs while in the same time won' t make my car extremely hard. I have heard that Bilstein Sport-Sprint are extremely hard (is it so?) so i would like to hear what other options i have.

Thank you very much in advance.

4troxoi said:
First of all i would like to apologize in case a similar thread has been opened again. I' m a new user and i didn' t find anything similar.

I own a Fiat Tipo 1.4 i.e. equiped with Bilstein absorbers (the black ones) and H&R lowering springs (-4 cm).
What i would like to ask is whether someone else can advise me about another possible type of absorbers i can put, that will fit better with my springs while in the same time won' t make my car extremely hard. I have heard that Bilstein Sport-Sprint are extremely hard (is it so?) so i would like to hear what other options i have.

Thank you very much in advance.
i would buy a complete suspension package. the springs are matched to the shocks. Jamex,koni,bilstein,spax area a few to mind. look for a progressive spring that goes harder the more you load it. adjustable shocks are also advisable. these can be set for your personal preference. be aware though, some shocks have to be set off the car, so look for ones that can be adjusted on the car. if possible, find ones that are top mounted adjustable.:)

sumplug said:
i would buy a complete suspension package. the springs are matched to the shocks.
I don' t find a reason to change springs again. I believe that H&R springs have efficient performance. What I'm looking for is shocks to combine them with.
So, I conclude to the following questions:
1) What i can' t find out is whether koni adjustable shocks are produced for Fiat Tipo or not.
2) Are there any other adjustable shocks that fit my car?

Hellcat said:
Lowering your car will always make it a harder ride since the suspension has to stop any bounce before it bottoms out.
I know that. The car is already lowered. The problem is that Bilstein black (original) that i have in my car allow only a 3cm lowering and my springs lowered the car 4cm, making the shocks to end in big rubs. Therefore, I'm looking for shocks that will fit better with my springs, while in the same time won' t make my car extremely hard (that means a lot more than it is already).

the spring is there to stop the shock resonating. if they are not matched, you will get an impaired ride/handling combination.:)

Trancendental said:
Get the same for the rear as well. They are not adjustable at the back though.
Can't they be adjusted even if they are removed from the car first?
I don' t understand how is it possible that front shocks can be adjusted, while rear shocks can't:confused:
Moreover, what do you mean by saying: "Get the same for the rear as well." ?
You mean the same type or the same code number? I assume that rear shocks have different code number than front shocks.

i had bilsten absorbes on my tipo and they were very hard..now i bought kayaba and they are very very good..much softer then any other..(y)

Front shocks have adjustable screws on the top of the strut - this is impossible on the rear as the way they mount are so different.

The part number is different for rear shocks.

Bilsteins are hard shocks but if you want a genuine performance feel then thats what you should expect.

drago_tuner said:
i had bilsten absorbes on my tipo and they were very hard..now i bought kayaba and they are very very good..much softer then any other..(y)
Can you please tell me which model of KYB shock absorbers did you put?
Excel-G, GAS-A-JUST or some other type?
From what I know AGX isn't produced (unfortunately) for Tipo.

4troxoi said:
Can you please tell me which model of KYB shock absorbers did you put?
Excel-G, GAS-A-JUST or some other type?
From what I know AGX isn't produced (unfortunately) for Tipo.

i cant remember..i think they are excel-g but i am not sure..

One (cheap) option is Spax non-adjustables, they do some for the early Bravas/Bravos (1.4) that are compatible with your Tipo.

P/N are N2165 Front, N2166 rear. Try Demon Tweeks, they said Spax have them available in the warehouse. I'm sure they're compatible with the 35/40mm drop Spax spring kit so should be ok for you.

2L, 1.8 16V and 1.9TD have different struts to all the other models. They use thicker shafts. Ive been trying to find some and they are very difficult to get (in NZ). Struts for the smaller engined models are easy to find. I was about to ask Demon Tweeks for some but just today Ive found a set of KYB. These have a reasonable reputation. Matched shocks are better but a standard shock will work ok with -35mm lowering. Its definatly goign to work better than old worn shocks. Its not untill you get to the high end brands than it starts to make a noticeable difference IMO.

Back