Technical Tipo issue 2 Manual choke. starting idle probs.

Currently reading:
Technical Tipo issue 2 Manual choke. starting idle probs.

CagedBat

Any suggestions welcome.

My girlfriends tipo 1.4 Digital DGT has a manual choke however it dosn't appear to be making alot of difference, it certainly helps with starting if it's in the right position, but when running (and it's a cow to start when cold) runs quite rough until warmed up,(occasional stalling) also the choke setting dosnt' seem to effect idle speed like in other cars I've owned with manual chokes..

I'm suspecting the carb has had its chips . A

As per my prvious post there is a teepiece in a vaccum pipe from the exhaust manifold to the carb that is open to the elements however blanking this off seems to make no difference to the rough running of the engine...
Once the car is warm it generally runs fine..

Hope to hear from you.

if it's running fine once warm and works in getting it started i'd be inclined to leave it tbh.

it's easy to see the choke on the right hand side of the carb, when the choke is moved it moves an arm into position, if you take the top of the carb off (the black cover held on by a single 12mm bolt (i think) ) just check that the movement of the choke moves the valve things in the carb. check the condition of it's insides to see if it's coked up, if it is buy yourself a can of carb cleaner and spray it thoroughly!

also when the engine is running spray around the base of the carb with the carb cleaner if the engine revs slightly you've probably got an air leak.

the best thing to do however is to take it to a garage, a small independent with older staff is usually best.

unless you know what you're doing do not attempt to take the carb apart yourself in anyway.

I think the carb is likely coked up with gunge, tried WD40 and nearly lost my eyebrows, but not much improvement although it did seem to start a bit mroe happily...will go find some carb cleaner next motorfactor visit.

As for cheapo garages familar with tipos...any recomendations in nottingham area as we went for inital service to a garage in arnold and were very dissapointed, (billed for 4 sparkplugs when clearly only one was done...etc.)

Is the cable actually working ? I had a similar problem with my A112 once, caused by the cable slipping through the mounts, so it looked like it was working, but it did'nt. You can always push the accelerator once or twice before starting and so squirt some fuel from the accelerator pump into the carb, makes an easyer start when cold.

Back