Technical Tipo 1.4ie 1995 - Cold Start Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Tipo 1.4ie 1995 - Cold Start Problem

Hi all, I recently purchased a Fiat Tipo 1.4ie (1995) after two months of owning it, it has stopped starting from cold! Is there anyone who can help at all?

The car will not start immediately, but if turned over for a LONG time it will eventually start (as long as the battery does not run flat!). When the engine does start, it runs perfectly fine; I have a good spark from all plugs.

There are three pipes from the petrol tank, two black pipes (being flow and return) going to the top of the carb through an electrically operated valve fitted inside the top of the carb. If I remove the diaphragm inside the valve and turn the ignition petrol immediately pumps from it. When turned over, the third pipe (fitted to the lower end of carb) has no flow.

Could someone tell me what the above mentioned valve is and what it's function is? Even, am I correct in thinking that the valve is my problem?!

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Re: Tipo 1.4ie 1995 - Haynes Manual?

I have just telephoned a local stockist trying to find a Haynes manual to help me get my car started; I was told that there is no Haynes manual for my year of Tipo, only 1988 to 1991 - Is this correct?!

If so, how can I get an engine diagram to help my father fix my car?

Thanks for your help.

(nb. initial message is from my father, if it makes no sense to anyone on this forum, I apologise, it makes little sense to me either!)

Hi, thanks for the responses; got hold of a Porters manual and my father was refering to the overflow pipe coming off the injector which he thought should have been a fuel line (bless him - he tries). So that is not my problem as there is definately fuel going into the injector.

I still have no idea what is wrong with my Tipo, it still runs the battery flat before it's warm enough to start.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Hello everyone, back again! My Tipo problem has still not been resolved although after getting a Porters manual and a Haynes manual for the older model we are a little closer to getting it running again.

I wondered if anyone could help identify what we believe is a regulator which, when plugged in, stops my car from starting from cold. If said part is unplugged then the car starts with no problems. There are warm and cold air pipes to/from the part, the pipe that goes to it comes from the air-drier, it must regulate something as when the engine is running and it is unplugged the revs increase slightly (we've tried to find a part number, but no joy without removing it).

Hopefully, once identified it can be replaced and I will have my car back after six months of it not running.
Many thanks for helping, any suggestions appreciated, wish me luck :)

Hi, thanks for the reply but the lead I unplugged came from the bulk head under the scuttle panel not from the injection system. It's a circular black unit with air lines going from the air-drier; my Tipo will not start from cold when this is plugged in (at the minute, it's being driven around without whatever it is) I have no idea what this thing is and can't find it in the porters manual or older model Haynes manual.

Cheers :)

It may very well be the fuel cut solenoid plug. my one played up and kept switching off my engine and causing it not to start.

Maybe your injectors need a clean too, remove them all and give them and the electrical contacts a wipe down.

Also at night when its rally dark outside (no street lamps if possible) turn on your car, pop the bonnet and keep a look out for sparks and abnormal lights fliying from the engine. May need to replace spark plugs and leads etc.

If you have an ECU clean all the contacts for that too, furthermore one of the ECU leads runs to the front of the engine somewhere (I think the starter) make sure thats fully plugged in and clean.

Husband enthused, father ignored, injectors cleaned, electrical contacts wiped, spark plugs and leads replaced, ECU contacts and leads wiped and cleaned. Over the last twelve months we've replaced for new the thermostat, lambda sensor, distributor cap, tdc sensor and temp sensor; and ruined two batteries by running them flat everytime we start it and STILL the blooming thing won't start from cold.

Thanks for the advice Trancendental, I think my hubby has learned to listen to you in the future! We will be replacing the Fuel Cut Solenoid as soon as we can locate one, if that doesn't work we're going to replace the charcoal filter (suggested by Porters manual). If we still fail it's going to the scrap heap :( we should have just taken it to a garage in the first place I guess!

Could be a fault with the stepper motor. If its not setting itself for cold start, it needs looking at. You could have an air sensor which is faulty as well as a coolant temp sensor. Both can cause the wrong signal to go to the ECU and make the ECU think the engine is warm and so it wont set the stepper to cold start. A bit like a carb choke not working and so it will be difficult to start.

Andy.:)

Although I am not aware of 1995 1,4 Tipo layout (mine is 1992 Bosch Mono Jetronic SPI), I think I would start with checking the items suggested by sumplug.
I believe there must be a manual for the given injection system available in English somewhere in the cyberworld...:confused:
Maybe some googling of the engine type (something like 160.A1.046 etc.) would shed some light on the system used?

Hi everyone.

My Tipo now has a replacement stepper motor and still won't start from cold :cry: (it does tick over slightly better when I have got it started though).
The weather's getting warmer again now which means that my hubby is about to abandon this car for another six to seven spring and summer months as it will now run more or less fine until October time. :bang:

Perhaps my car has Seasonal Depression?! :rolleyes:

Fuel cut solenoid is being replaced for new this weekend - fingers crossed!!

Hi everyone.

My Tipo now has a replacement stepper motor and still won't start from cold :cry: (it does tick over slightly better when I have got it started though).
The weather's getting warmer again now which means that my hubby is about to abandon this car for another six to seven spring and summer months as it will now run more or less fine until October time. :bang:

Perhaps my car has Seasonal Depression?! :rolleyes:

Fuel cut solenoid is being replaced for new this weekend - fingers crossed!!

oh dear!!!!
have you reset the stepper motor according to your Fiat Tipo hand book, :idea:
maybe your choke unit is up the swannie??

I know its an old thread. But im desperately need advice.

I have the simular problems as the maker of this thread. Symtomes are exactly thesame. If i inject the carburator with start gas fluid it will come back on if i give the gas pedal a few dance moves. And after a while it will run smooth again. Cough's and spits a while first. Altho i've established this as some sort of crap in the gas tank since the car stood still for a long time before i came along. If i wait for 2-3 hours after a failed start attempt it will start no prob.

And i've noticed that the automatic choke lever doesn't move. This is the 1.4ie with monojettronic system. I took it apart today and noticed that the engine inside the choke works if i take 2 cables and directly boost it with juice. Either i guess that its the wheels inside it that won't move and rotate in ordet. Or its the function before the automatic choke thats broken and doesn't tell it to move.

Im gonna try to change the gas filter located on the gas tank and see how that will turn out if it will improve the "wont start/dies part".

But im still clueless what to do about the automatic choke. Is it a way to check if the "computer" or whatever tells the choke to "choke" is damaged? Or do i simply try find another choke? (this part is a bosch one).

I know im kinda all over the place. English isn't my first language. Hope you have patience with that.

Back