Technical Timing/Cambelt Fiat Stilo 1.4

Currently reading:
Technical Timing/Cambelt Fiat Stilo 1.4

venturer

Hope someone can help. Does anyone know when the Timing/Cambelt needs to be replaced in a 1.4 16v Stilo?

One dealer has told me 72k, another 60k. Big difference, but I am not sure which is right.

Anything else I should look at getting done at the same time?

Thanks

Commonly recognised now to be changed at 36,000 and not the milage given out by fiat..:)

Aye I agree with the above... Fiat are well out with their mileages / dates, got Mrs Ffoxys 1.2 Cambelt done a bit back at 49,000 miles & 6 years old... I consider us lucky... :eek:

Hope someone can help. Does anyone know when the Timing/Cambelt needs to be replaced in a 1.4 16v Stilo?

One dealer has told me 72k, another 60k. Big difference, but I am not sure which is right.
Don't overlook cam belt age.

If your Stilo is older than 2004 - then it needs doing - whatever figures you accept!

I think I will get it booked in then. How come they are so badly wrong and why do they need doing so soon?

Is there anything else that should be done? It is 2004 04 with approx 56k.

Was thinking water pump or the like?

Thanks

think on the 1.4 pump is not driven off the timing belt.. so you can do it whenever (or as of when it fails) but if you've extra cash and wana do it in 1 go then go for it.. also auxiliary belts (same as the pump)

I think I will get it booked in then. How come they are so badly wrong and why do they need doing so soon?

Is there anything else that should be done? It is 2004 04 with approx 56k.

Was thinking water pump or the like?

Thanks

I think 20/20 hindsight is really useful for such things, maybe the durability of parts didnt quite live up to Fiats original expectations...

Just had mine done on the GPS Mjet at 3 years and 55,000 miles, better to be safe than sorry IMO.

maybe the durability of parts didnt quite live up to Fiats original expectations...

And that goes for many of their spares..also the cost of their spares are really excessive..and I can give you an idea what I mean by that one..rubber exhaust mountings otherwise called elastic pads..these are on all cars and on my panda I thought they ought to be doubled up when you consider the weight of a stainless exhaust over a mild steel one..fiat price per pad= £7.90p each for my panda..:eek: after market price from an online site= 70p each..:cry: now if that isnt excessive then nothing is..:mad:

Go with the 36k mark !!!

I was under impression of 72k , and mine went well before landing me with a bill of £1400 for a private fix . Fiat wanted over £2k

so well worth doin it now if over 36 !!

I always changed mine on the old 1.2 at 60k (twice in its life). Mrs 850kd's 1.4 - a 54 plate - is now due on age rather than mileage.
Has anyone used Contitech belts rather than Fiat - might they be better spec (or worse even)??

i use contitech, never had a problem, people have advised me against gates belts.

my bravo is on a dayco and has been fine but then again id hope it is after only 2 months :p, from 'word of mouth'' dayco is seen as the one to go for if not getting fiat parts.

and as for cambelt replacements, im going to stick with fiats recommendations on my punto :p (8 yrs/72k (y))

still never seen a fiat cambelt go before its 'recommendation replacement' tbh.

Last edited:
there is one in post 12

Not so Dave :shakehead:

When posted, belt was already over 5 years old :(

Driving into work this morning , just pulled away from lights and lost all power

Tried restarting engine but nothing , electrics on but engine dead, anyway got the aa out , who were great , the guy who cam was a big stilo fan and knew them inside out but sadly confirmed that the belt has snapped.

So its sat with fiat in warrington right now till tuesday when they can check the damage.

So im expecting a hefty bill for this !! Its just passed 65k , 53 plate , so was ready to get the belt done on next service in july !!! i am so gutted !!

Back