General thinking of buying a Panda 4x4

Currently reading:
General thinking of buying a Panda 4x4

renault

hi all
I am thinking of buying a Classic Panda 4x4 but need some advice. Am I correct in thinking that the classic Panda was Mk. 1 and Mk. 2 and am I also correct that the car lost its way and with it also the Steyre Puch connection with the Mk. 3 - or is that a little unfair on the Mk. 3?
What should I look out for when viewing a car?

hi all
I am thinking of buying a Classic Panda 4x4 but need some advice. Am I correct in thinking that the classic Panda was Mk. 1 and Mk. 2 and am I also correct that the car lost its way and with it also the Steyre Puch connection with the Mk. 3 - or is that a little unfair on the Mk. 3?
What should I look out for when viewing a car?
Yes, yes, yes, and structural rust (for the mk1&2).

"Lost it's way" - Classic is arguably Giugiaro's best work but obviously not compliant with the legislation in place when the mk3 came on sale.
The Steyr-Puch set up in the mk1/2 demands drivers consider when to engage and disengage rear drive - a bit like an automatic V. manual transmission argument. All generations are similarly capable off road (I'd argue mk1&2 have the edge) but on road they're in different leagues for refinement, convenience, speed and safety.
Perhaps it depends what you plan to use it for; what you're prepared to tolerate/accept as "character", how many miles you want to cover and the budget.
Mk1 very rare now - Head for Italy to find any choice
Mk2 buy the best you can find, don't worry too much about the mechanicals but examine everything bodywork from the headlamps
back. Cracks at the base of the B pillars point to weak sill structures. Boot floor viewing from above and below is recommended. Door bottoms, A pillar bases.. I'll stop now.
Mk3 onwards: Pretty robust but nothing is immune so check as much as you can. Rust not a problem usually. Minor accidents and low values lead to plenty of insurance 'written off' bargains for the brave and careful.

Whatever you decide - they're all charming, interesting and fun. Happy hunting.

mk1 and mk2 "feel" the same. i had a Seat Marbella which is basically the mk1 panda. it was a great car and i wish i still had it.
i have a mk2 4x4 which is a great car that i will be getting back on the road this year i hope as i miss it dearly.
i have a mk3 which is totally different from the mk1/2. it has a modern car feel to it but somehow still feels.. panda..ry. being the 1.3 diesel, it quite nice long runs doing 56mph gives 78 mpg average. sadly you cant get the 4x4 with the diesel.. damn shame.
never had a mk4.. or even driven one... ill get hate but i am not much of a fan to be fair.. too round.

thanks both very much for those very comprehensive replies. What I was getting at was the 'true' Panda 4x4 and I recall on a skiing holiday in ..where I saw the early ones just driving around in the deep snow with n problems whilst the posh Merc's & Porsches all 'intelligent' 4x4 couldn't even get out of their parking spaces. I also remember a top gear report where they compared the Mk. 3 to a Land Rover on a muddy track - the Mk3 seemed to get confused and although it had the power to ascend the hill - the transmission was not up to it.
I think I prefer the rawness of the manually selected rear axle drive.
Finally are there any major differences between the Mk1 and Mk2 or is it just a facelift ?

ill get hate, but in the 4x4s its pretty much a facelift and a different engine..
the mk1s use a variant of the 903/899cc OHV push rod engine with 5 speed box. its a nice engine! i had the 903 in the Marbella and the 899 in a cinquecento.

the mk2 uses the 999cc FIRE engine which is over head cam with 5 speed box. again, a nice engine.

both engines are a typical fiat rev happy engine that take it well. the power level of both engines are bout the same at around 50hp.

theres not really much difference between mk1 and 2 4x4s. the strut top design on them are different but the suspension is pretty much the same.
the mk2 did improve some things like the seat design, the dash and.. umm.. well thats about it. the one thing that is annoying is the got rid of the quarterlights on the doors in the mk2! they were a bit of a security issue i guess. oh and you could have a blower vent pointing at you or the passenger. on the mk1 it only pointed one way.

thing is, a mk2 will be more easy to get. the mk1 is quite hard to find. you do get to tell everyone that you have a mk1 though.. however the mk2 is just as good.

personally i would like a mk1.. just to say i have a mk1.. but thats the only reason why. i love Talon, my mk2. ill take the car right up to my grave then give it my kids.. if i ever am blessed with kids. not looking good though :/ whatever im never selling it. when i was in school some 15-20 years ago the panda was my dream car!

I would think very carefully about one after reading all the comments here about how difficult parts are becoming.
In the past I had thought it would be a fun little runabout, now I wouldn't bother looking.

don't be negative vexaug, that is part of the fun - providing it is not your only daily driver. I also have a Panhard X86 so am quite used to searching for parts made from unobtanium.

I have a 141a (aka mk2) amd a 319 (current model) TA 4x4. if you want the car as a daily go for a 319 as the price you pay for one will be little different to the price you'll pay for a decent 141/141a in roadworthy condition. If you want a pet / project car it's an entirely different ball game but the 141a is a little too difficult to replace for regular use in today's traffic mayhem.

Back