General Thinking of buying a 2011 - 2015 500, petrol

Currently reading:
General Thinking of buying a 2011 - 2015 500, petrol

CM1746

Hi everyone,

In the market for the above as a learner car for my youngest and seeking some advice on areas to be aware of. The thread below (buying a 500C) probably covers the key areas although the climate control issue is a new one on me!

I know of the dodgy door handle, easily corrodable exhaust and the cambelt change intervals but anything else? I'm also aware of the 2014 -2016 1.2 map issue for emissions which caused torque problems - can this be resolved by a remap? Also surprisingly the TA is cheaper to insure (not by much to be fair) than the 1.2 but my gut reaction is that the 1.2 may be less problematical. Unfounded or not?

I also have a 2.0 16v Fiat Coupe and some of the opinion on FCCUK was I could be buying into a heap of bother :rolleyes: I'm sure that's not the case..:)

Last edited:
Stick to 1.2 avoid auto you seem to know most points remember the older cars will have the "hatch wiring issue" engine generally fine if looked after mostly it'll be suspension issues to start with but cheap and simple to fix.

Thanks John for the info.

Just bought a 2011 1.2 lounge, silver with 49k and full MOT for £2.1k today and pick it up next week. History patchy so will get it booked in for a full service and belts asap. Manual air con which was a bonus. The hatch wiring was fine but will keep an eye on any fraying and will sort as soon as the problem arises. Took it for a test drive around the hills in the Yorkshire Dales three up and yes it's not going to set the world on fire but there were no dramas :)

If you want, it'll probably need a new rear badge and front, these are cheap on EBay about £25 the pair! And make a nice touch, Iridium plugs remove the need to replace them for the next 5 years noting the two breather hoses that need moving to replace them are common failures as to is the very fragile spigot the "thin" pipe where it attaches to on the air box.

Back