Currently reading:
Technical There's a hole in my rear bumper

Here's Bumper on tour .

2013 , Before I lost the plot with some stickers or 1000

Attachments

• 459.JPG
    459.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
Progress update. I've now removed my bumper from the car, only destroying three rusted on fastenings in the process.

I've got the lower louvres removed from both bumpers and ready to be swapped over. However, the job before that was to transplant part of the bottom bar from mine to Jon's where his had been cut away for the exhaust. It's secured internally with glass fibre and resin and I'm just in the process of filling the gaps and sanding down before paint. Overall I'm happy with how it has gone.

While I was at it I decided to leave a nod to the bumper's ancestry by hiding a little laminated message behind the number plate as an easter egg for a future owner/dismantler, hopefully you can see that in the second picture, I'll secure it in place when I put the plate on.

Attachments

• PXL_20210504_083030973.jpg
    PXL_20210504_083030973.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20210504_083024417.jpg
    PXL_20210504_083024417.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 34
Just seemed a fun thing to do.

Now to more serious matters. As part of the bumper refrubishment I took out all of the plastic boot liner. Firstly to clean it as it still had some bits of mould on and secondly to repair a few cracks as I've got plenty of glass fibre and resin left over from the bumper fix.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I'm a touch heavy handed at times but my success rate in removing the trim clips was dismal (even with a proper tool), at least half snapped off and the barbed pieces will need tracking down to avoid some annoying rattles later.

I'm going to order up some replacements but has anyone experimented with using any different fasteners that are easier to take out? It could just be that the 23 year old ones had just become brittle but I can see liner removal again in my future and so don't want the same problem again.

** EDIT **

Just found these:
https://www.vehicleclips.co.uk/easy-removal-7mm-plastic-trim-panel-clips/
might be worth a go if they'll cope with the thickness of the liner

Last edited:
Bumper is finally back in place and I'm mostly happy with it. The join between the two parts of the lower bar is good enough for me. The rattle can I got made up came out a little on the dark side and so I sprayed the whole bottom bar and the fact it's in shadow means you can't really see the difference in colour. The louvres plastic welded back on OK and it's all back on the car.

I'm a little annoyed that the shut line on the right is narrower than on the left so I may end up having a little fettle with that at some point. Just waiting for the clips to arrive so I can refit the interior and I'm done.

Thanks for the help and advice, particularly to brianpoole for putting me on to plastic welding and to Barchetta Bloke 440 for passing on his bumper - she rides again.

Attachments

• PXL_20210506_185628444.jpg
    PXL_20210506_185628444.jpg
    841.1 KB · Views: 26
Good job!

Regarding the shut line, You might already know this, but the top edge rests on little sliders...these can sometimes need tightening upwards, or loosened to made sliding the bumper off easier - to access remove the tail lightsand there’s a bolt head there. Also check the bumper slots into the slider and is not below, mine was like that, and looked like yours when I got it, but good once I corrected.

Looking great though?

Last edited:
To close this tale. I've now got my old bumper lying in the garage complete with original hole that led me to swap it out as well as a hacked out hole where I took out a piece to transplant onto Fabio's. I can't imagine that anything on it is of use to anybody but if for some reason you do want it you've got about a fortnight to shout before it goes to the tip next time I go.

Here's the pic of the dual exit system on mine .

I'm having trouble getting the bumper off , the bolts in the wheel arch are not coming undone.

You can see a chunk of the bumper been removed to make space for the second set of pipes.

Is your dual exhaust a custom build, or is it available on the aftermrket? I´ve been thingking about it on mine, but hasn´t gotten to it yet.

/Seb

Is your dual exhaust a custom build, or is it available on the aftermrket? I´ve been thingking about it on mine, but hasn´t gotten to it yet.

/Seb

The twin exit system as it was called was a DTR Sportscars exhaust .

I was told when I bought the car in 2012 that it was the last they had and weren't going to make any more , but I believe they changed their mind later and may have made some more .

It needs the obvious mod to the bumper as seen and also needs an extra hanger mounted under the car to hold up the extra pipes as the split comes out of the end of the central pipe ,it's not just a back box .

Hope that makes sense.

Back