Technical The Widest Wheel

Currently reading:
Technical The Widest Wheel

wegi

aka whitebravo
Hey, thinking about buying some new alloys after Christmas is over and done with, and was just wondering if you guys know what the widest wheel that can fit onto the Bravo is?
I've been looking at a few that say like 18x7.5" but i'm curious if I can go wider than 7.5".

The reason I ask is because I had spacers on my last car to fill the gap of the wheelarches up a bit but something horrendous ended up happening so I don't want to go down the spacer route ever again. (n)

Rappidpie has a set of 18x8.5's on his. I currently have a set of the same spec wheels sitting around waiting for tyres, and both him and I went for 215/40 18.

I am currently speaking to a guy about a set of 16x9's, so provided you don't mind a bit of poke, it's possible.

https://www.fiatforum.com/bravo/234837-new-18-my-bravo-t-jet.html

What's the point of having 8.5" rims when your tyres are tiny little 215/40 ? :confused:

It's like a body builder wearing ballet shoes.

Are you going for that eurostyle where rims are wider than the tyres? (I hate it)

Last edited:
What's the point of having 8.5" rims when your tyres are tiny little 215/40 ? :confused:

Are you going for that eurostyle where rims are wider than the tyres? (I hate it)

I am going for euro-inspired style (low, big, widish wheels). I'm not a big fan of stretch, but it's necessary to get really low with wheels that size unfortunately. I do like some stretch though, just not the ridiculous 195 on a 10" wheel. That's just stupid.

What would you mount on 18x8,5 wheels?
remember the diameter has to be +/- 3% from the originale tyre size

I'd fit 235 wheels at the rear and stay with 225 or less at the front.

Keep in mind that road noise, fuel economy and performance all get worse with wider wheels, that's why I personally stay with the recommended 225.

I've already had my share of chavtastic experiments with my previous car, I'm way over that now. Recommended wheel specs are always the best.

Last edited:
Hey, thinking about buying some new alloys after Christmas is over and done with, and was just wondering if you guys know what the widest wheel that can fit onto the Bravo is?
I've been looking at a few that say like 18x7.5" but i'm curious if I can go wider than 7.5".

The reason I ask is because I had spacers on my last car to fill the gap of the wheelarches up a bit but something horrendous ended up happening so I don't want to go down the spacer route ever again. (n)

maybe 9x18 will fit if anyone maks them i 4x100 or 4x98. 8,5x18 is in my opinion the limit if it has to be road legal.

I'd fit 235 wheels at the rear and stay with 225 or less at the front.

Keep in mind that road noise, fuel economy and performance all get worse with wider wheels, that's why I personally stay with the recommended 225.

I've already had my share of chavtastic experiments with my previous car, I'm way over that now. Recommended wheel specs are always the best.

you might be right but also a bit boring :D

maybe 9x18 will fit if anyone maks them i 4x100 or 4x98. 8,5x18 is in my opinion the limit if it has to be road legal.

The only ones you'll get in 18x9 and 4x100 fitment are in America, with Scions using the 4x100 stud pattern. Over here, next to nothing that is big enough to warrant an 18" wheel still uses the 4-stud layout; even superminis are nearly all 5-studs, bar the tiny little city cars. So far as I know of, Pug and Fiat are the only ones still mainly using 4 stud.

Even my 18x8.5's needed imported (n)

So would you reckon an 8" width would be more suited for me?

Yeah man, there is a nice set of Rota SDM's in 18x8 that would look the dogs nads. You'd need spacers but all the Eibach ones are TUV approved.

Also, they have a 56.1 centre bore, so may need drilled out if you can't get hub-centric spacers with a reduced outer centre bore.

Last edited:
I know I'm in the wrong section but if you don't want stretch then maybe go for a set of 8" wheels around et35-40 and have oversized tyres?.. Gives a chunky track look and would fill the arches nicely. I've had a set of 16's on my GP and look waay to small unless you sit really low, go for 17's
9j et15 195 40's for the win!

I know I'm in the wrong section but if you don't want stretch then maybe go for a set of 8" wheels around et35-40 and have oversized tyres?.. Gives a chunky track look and would fill the arches nicely. I've had a set of 16's on my GP and look waay to small unless you sit really low, go for 17's
9j et15 195 40's for the win!

The ET is a bit high for 8's. The normal 7's sit around 31-35, so maybe about 25. Also, 16's for me would be winter-spec.

... I've been looking at a few that say like 18x7.5" but i'm curious if I can go wider than 7.5" ...

I believe it’s argued that optimum rim width should be 90% of tyre width. That would suggest 8J rims (in contrast to the 7.5J standard fit) for 225/40R18 tyres.

A rim conversion chart will show how far you can theoretically move away from that. For example - 7.5J, 8J, 8.5J & 9J are all approved rims for 225/40R18 tyres. Whether it’s a practical move is outside my knowledge.

Nice!

But I still dont understand why you dont buy tyres that fit the wheels or wheels that fit your tyres...? ;)

Back