General The Fun & Games of insurance Renewal

Currently reading:
General The Fun & Games of insurance Renewal

The problem these days is that loyalty is not rewarded. More interested in generating new business and that surely has to be riskier than keeping existing customers with a blemish-free record happy?

True for me this time around.

Have just dumped DL for SAGA - £110.92 for a year's comprehensive cover :). So I also 'splashed out' and added NCB protection for an additional £3.93 :):).

(Tip: If you apply online & then phone 0800 096 9996 for a home insurance quote, you'll get £20 off the motor quote - you're not required to actually buy the home policy).

My last oil & filter change cost me less than £25, RFL is £30 & I'm still averaging 60 mpg over the life of the car.

So I'm staking my claim to the cheapest 500 motoring on the forum :):):).

I said it before on a previous insurance renewal thread, just be wary of what you're actually being covered for. It's all very well whooping with joy when you get a quote for say 180 quid for the year, but check the small print in the policy, it may not prove to be the golden policy you were hoping for.

Personally, for me, whilst the car is under Fiat's warranty, I'm being very careful about exactly who I insure with. Some of the cheaper end of the insurance market definitely do not like you using your own preferrred repairer should the worst happen and they can sometimes make life difficult for you if you take matters out of their hands. I doubt they will give a monkey's if their preferred repairer doesn't use genuine Fiat parts on an accident damaged two year old car as an example. At this stage of our ownership, if we have a prang, I want our own Fiat, to remain a Fiat, not some cheapo repair job using after market parts. Sure, once the warranty has run out, I'll likely go for the £180 a year quote and should a prang happen, send it to whomever the insurance company specify.

Insurance is I absolutely understand, a personal choice and each to their own, but as has been said so often in so many of the other threads on this forum, if you can afford to spend between 10 and 14k brand new on a tiny little car like our 500's, you can afford a little bit extra on an insurance policy that will do what it says when you most need it.

I agree, cheapest policies can prove to be a false economy in the event of actually needing to claim on the insurance. I had a lousy experience with a major insurer and their chosen agents for repair. On complaining I felt fobbed off. I cancelled my policy. My current insurers were brilliant when I had a claim, I can ring a local office and talk to a person who knows who I am. I may pay a little more but it gives me confidence and peace of mind which is ultimately what insurance is all about isn't it?

True for me this time around.

Have just dumped DL for SAGA - £110.92 for a year's comprehensive cover :). So I also 'splashed out' and added NCB protection for an additional £3.93 :):).

(Tip: If you apply online & then phone 0800 096 9996 for a home insurance quote, you'll get £20 off the motor quote - you're not required to actually buy the home policy).

My last oil & filter change cost me less than £25, RFL is £30 & I'm still averaging 60 mpg over the life of the car.

So I'm staking my claim to the cheapest 500 motoring on the forum :):):).

With my road tax at 250 euros a year and my insurance at 800 euros a year not to mention 35 mpg, you are far far ahead of me jrkirching!

Just renewed my insurance.
Got a quote from Aviva as Flashy photos had a good buy there, £195.
Then tried quotemehappy.com who are actually aviva by another name. £185.

The default voluntary excess was £350, so tried it lower, then lower still at £0 and the quote was the same.

Quidco not as good as before at £40 but better than a kick in the nuts!
£145 all in and I can admin the policy myself online.

Good riddance to RAC insurance!

It's farcical really. Last year I had the renewal from Direct Line, saw Churchill were doing £50 cashback via quidco. Got quoted just under the DL premium but obviously quids in with the cashback. Of course both are underwritten by UK Insurance, documentation is identical bar the company logo and doubtless you get through to the same call centre.

Just got Churchill renewal through, I see on quidco that Direct Line are offering £50 cashback. Get a quote, £45 cheaper including £150 vol xs instead of £300 and of course £50 cashback too. So back to Direct Line I go!

Who uses quidco anymore? Last time I used them they charged a yearly fee!!!!

Yes they do, but its £5. I used them again last night. Moved my broadband from sky to EE. £100 cashback with quidco, £71 with topcashback.

It's always worth checking both sites for whichever service you're looking for though as either one could have a much better rate. :)

It's farcical really. Last year I had the renewal from Direct Line, saw Churchill were doing £50 cashback via quidco. Got quoted just under the DL premium but obviously quids in with the cashback. Of course both are underwritten by UK Insurance, documentation is identical bar the company logo and doubtless you get through to the same call centre.

Just got Churchill renewal through, I see on quidco that Direct Line are offering £50 cashback. Get a quote, £45 cheaper including £150 vol xs instead of £300 and of course £50 cashback too. So back to Direct Line I go!

Yes it's stupid, as you see in my post above I've just saved changing from sky to EE broadband. Was paying £29.50 with sky for unlimited broadband, phone line and 24/7 free calls.
EE same package £24, plus £100 cashback.
So saving £166 in a year.

Sky are also offering good cashback rates for new customers, but wouldn't do a deal to save me yesterday. No doubt over the next few days ill have the call to offer my free broadband for the next 12 months or something.
Unless they can beat my total EE cost by minimum of £20 I'll carry on with EE out of principle.

Give it 12 months though and I'll be doing the same most probably as EE may not be giving me anything for loyalty and sky will be dangling a big carrot. (n)

Swiftcover are showing £28 cashback thru Quidco, and TopCashback, so if you have not already renewed if you go through either of those 2 sites you will get £28 back off your price..

Believe me it still wouldn't be worth it if swift cover were giving £288 cashback!

I'm all for saving money but after my experience with swiftcover (who are fine until you need to claim) i will go out of my way and will pay more to make sure my insurance company is not related to Swiftcover or Sims Claims - and i wont have it underwritten by axa either.

Lesson learned in my case - i got the cashback etc too but i wished i'd have paid an extra £100 and gone with directline or anyone else instead.

and after the way directline dealt with a company I used to worked for and made dishonest adverts, I won't buy from them :)

Wife's policy is up for renewal in just under three week time. We had the renewal quote from Fiat this morning, came in at £286 with £100 compulsory excess and £150 voluntary. We went with Fiat last year because the car was only a year old and the benefits offered if the car got crunched, were better than the cheap end of the insurance market. After weighing up the fact that the 2 year warranty is up the end of next month, we've decided to go for a more 'normal' priced policy.

'Er indoors got a quote from 'Quotemehappy.com' which came in at £212.50, legal cover included with zero voluntary excess and only a £50 compulsory excess, though if she was unfortunate to have a crunch and we took the car to a 'non approved' repairer, they would charge a £250 excess. She registered through Topcashback site and will get £40.40 off a new policy through Quotemehappy.com dropping the price down to £172.10. At a £114 saving over Fiat insurance, it's a done deal.

Back