Technical The DOBLO that was old enough to SMOKE.

Currently reading:
Technical The DOBLO that was old enough to SMOKE.

Factseeker

Hi All,

I am the one with the 'smoking' Fiat Doblo 1.9 JTD 223 year 2005.

Purchased back in April but having much else to deal with did not initially experience the cloud of black exhaust produced under heavry acceleration.

A thick heavy jet black Curtain - hanging across road - quite embarrasing at the time.

After research and helpful advice on this Forum - Injector Cleaner - Engine Oil change plus whole set of Filters - Air - Fuel - Oil - check out of EGR - add in a couple of heavy accelerations on quite stretches of road each time out and about.

Exhaust now down to no smoke on revving engine at standstill and maybe 5 seconds of smoke under 'load' on an initial acceleration - then all clear - no more on repeat.

However the smoke is now brown/greyish - a definite improvement at least in volume.

Looks like previous owner only using 2.5K miles p.a. the last couple of years from MOT mileage - I think probably an older chap - just gentle drives around locally.

Would that have built up 'crud' in the exhaust system that has now been spewing out - but if so why the change now from a 'real' jet black to now brown/greyish?

Or is it the Injector Cleaner finally working wonders after my 3k miles since purchase?

Best Rgds.
Factseeker

Not sure if relevant to your issue, but a 1.9 JTD Doblo 05 I had that chucked out black smoke indicated a MAF sensor (on the pipe from air cleaner to turbo) new one fitted , still the same turned out to be a poor connection at the wiring plug to the MAF sensor, I found by probing the wires back a few cm and got different readings.
105Hp they usually go fairly well but if power down check for turbo or leaks in turbo pipe to engine, intercooler etc. Black smoke often means not enough oxygen for the fuel it is burning, so check for air leaks.
Mine stayed clean for several years, then after a few high speed runs started to burn oil and grey smoke, but as it had done 220,000 miles I figured it was time to say goodbye, though given the things I am having to fix on the 2010 1.6 Doblo replacement at half the mileage, it would have been cheaper to fix the old one!;)

Not sure if relevant to your issue, but a 1.9 JTD Doblo 05 I had that chucked out black smoke indicated a MAF sensor (on the pipe from air cleaner to turbo) new one fitted , still the same turned out to be a poor connection at the wiring plug to the MAF sensor, I found by probing the wires back a few cm and got different readings.
105Hp they usually go fairly well but if power down check for turbo or leaks in turbo pipe to engine, intercooler etc. Black smoke often means not enough oxygen for the fuel it is burning, so check for air leaks.
Mine stayed clean for several years, then after a few high speed runs started to burn oil and grey smoke, but as it had done 220,000 miles I figured it was time to say goodbye, though given the things I am having to fix on the 2010 1.6 Doblo replacement at half the mileage, it would have been cheaper to fix the old one!;)
Thnxs for reply - must say it seems to be getting less and less - only action I have taken is to use a couple of Jet cleaner bottles each per 40 ltrs of Fuel in tank - done twice.

Every morning when I go out in the car - first thing I do on our very quiet stright stretch of rooad is to take revs up to 3.5 or so.

I now only get a small cloud of brownish smoke for maybe a couple of seconfs then all clear.

After a slow run around town etc maybe 6 or 8 miles - a similar Rev up on the way back gives me same puff of smoke and then all clear again.

So much much better than a couple of momths ago - but I would be happier if not at all.

I think MOT next April should not be a problem if all continues as of now.

Best Rgds

Thnxs reply - please see below - this is my first diesel - so sort of cutting my teeth - not really knowing what to expect.
Spent my life in software dev - so fairly used to sorting out problems.
Later became an amateur mechanic - matter of survival while living in france ;o))

Best Rgds

Hi BugsyMike,

Based on your comment think I may have finally sorted my 'Smoke' problems.

Got myself a new MAF - from research I had come to the conclusion that it serves as a sort of in place of a Carburetor on injection engines..

Installed it last day or so and Motor feels so different especially through the 'peddles',.

Smoother on 'pickup' and through accelration etc.

Have not managed to produce any 'Smoke' since - but early days - literally a single day.

Need a week or so to be sure and also check on fuel consumption.

Ref your comment on your earlier Car - I know the feeling - my 'old' Renault Espace ran on LPG - Ah! those were the days!

But in faiirness to the Doblo - I rate it - costs a bit more in fuel but easy to criticise - if 'Smoke' really has gone - then I am well pleased - a good 'workhorse'.

Only thing that shook me was that the MAF was a 'Made in China' - wonder how long it will last??

Best Rgds & Thnxs.

Hi BugsyMike,

Based on your comment think I may have finally sorted my 'Smoke' problems.

Got myself a new MAF - from research I had come to the conclusion that it serves as a sort of in place of a Carburetor on injection engines..

Installed it last day or so and Motor feels so different especially through the 'peddles',.

Smoother on 'pickup' and through accelration etc.

Have not managed to produce any 'Smoke' since - but early days - literally a single day.

Need a week or so to be sure and also check on fuel consumption.

Ref your comment on your earlier Car - I know the feeling - my 'old' Renault Espace ran on LPG - Ah! those were the days!

But in faiirness to the Doblo - I rate it - costs a bit more in fuel but easy to criticise - if 'Smoke' really has gone - then I am well pleased - a good 'workhorse'.

Only thing that shook me was that the MAF was a 'Made in China' - wonder how long it will last??

Best Rgds & Thnxs.
Re the "Made in China" bit recently I bought two small rubber O ring seals for the oil cooler on my 1.6 2010 Doblo from the local Ford Dealer who also has the Fiat Franchise amongst others. After a long wait the £37 parts arrived in a little plastic Fiat bag and on inspection it stated PRC (Peoples Republic Of China) !!!
The two rubber rings would easily fit on your fingers, so unimpressed by that I have now bought an O ring making kit for around £55 from Loctite.

Hi, Now that is what you call going back to self sufficiency. After retirement my wife and I have spent time over in SEAsia - over there they never really left the 'concept' - they will take a large 'chunk' maybe out of a Mercedes and with a touch of welding at most shove it into a Honda or some such - seems to work for them.

Hi, Now that is what you call going back to self sufficiency. After retirement my wife and I have spent time over in SEAsia - over there they never really left the 'concept' - they will take a large 'chunk' maybe out of a Mercedes and with a touch of welding at most shove it into a Honda or some such - seems to work for them.
Pre ECU electronics I have done something like that, 2.8 Ducato diesel in place of a 150hp V6 petrol engine in a boat, 1.8 BMC Sherpa diesel engine in a Ford Granada and swapped a 504 Peugeot manual pick up diesel engine and gearbox into a 504 petrol Family Estate 2 litre petrol with auto box and vice versa so they both ran fine, in fairness that was the easiest conversion as all fittings were there for both setups, even clutch pedal assemblies etc. the only thing extra I had to do was fit a return fuel line for the diesel.
I believe the Cuban's run old American cars with odd engines out of necessity. :)

Back