Technical The disc moved stiff after new pads

Currently reading:
Technical The disc moved stiff after new pads

TheFlyingFiat1986

Hello, I am a new member, I have a Punto HGT 1.9 diesel, the caliper is bigger than the normal Punto which is 284 mm disc. Recently I had a both front new caliper piston rubber seal which I fit myself with special grease for brake piston lubricant.

Afterwards fit new EBC Green stuff pads with new disc (normal disc no grooves or drilled) and I have pumped the pedal, so the piston is fully close together between the pads, when I have tried to spin the disc it feels not free spin but a bit stiff, is this normal with new pads?

Do you reckon the piston inner new rubber ring need to get in using to become smooth?

On my 1.2 punto I found I had to take a bit of metal off the new brake pads where they contact the caliper so the caliper is free to move after the brakes are released.

In my view that whole arrangement needs a bit of maintenance so the caliper floats freely and can move to release the disk. The caliper should 'float' loosely on metal guide pins inside a rubber protector. That has to be greased and then the rest of the arrangement has to be free to move metal on metal.

I have wax oiled the calipers and copper greased the contact points. The area is surprisingly well protected inside the wheel so it stays there for the year and you can easily check on it from outside the wheel.

Back