General Test driven 500 today - to buy or not?

Currently reading:
General Test driven 500 today - to buy or not?

Mossycardiff

Currently have my second mini (this one is a clubman). I love that the mini is funky, a bit different and fun everytime i get init.
However have changed jobs and need something nippier, cheaper to run but looks just as good as is just as much fun.

Is there anything i should know?
Is the warranty good?
Is the 500 as good as or better than the mini?
Is the 500 as much fun?
Any massive problems with the 500?

am looking at a black 1.2 lounge with cream ambience, chequered seats and i want the door mouldings put on it.

Thanks for reading, be kind, am new:)

Currently have my second mini (this one is a clubman). I love that the mini is funky, a bit different and fun everytime i get init.
However have changed jobs and need something nippier, cheaper to run but looks just as good as is just as much fun.

Is the warranty good?
Is the 500 as much fun?

am looking at a black 1.2 lounge with cream ambience, chequered seats and i want the door mouldings put on it.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Well if I were you id sell the clubman today and get the Fiat 500 immediately. If you dont need much space its the best car.
The warranty is not amazing not bad at 2 years + 1 year dealer warranty, but spare parts wont cost you 1000 pounds like the Mini once the warranty is over so in the long term definately cheaper than the Mini.
I would say that the Mini Cooper S is more fun than a Fiat 500 and handles better as it is lower but with the Fiat 500 much cheaper definitely more bang per buck.

No massive problems, now and then some small annoying ones but no real horror stories, the car should last quite a few years and as i mentioned should anything go wrong, generally cheap to fix. If nothing goes wrong in the warranty period, the car wont suddenly disintigrate the minute the warranty is over (or i hope at least). The rest is basic wear and tear.

I hope you get it and enjoy the car, its really fun!

Thanks so much for replying. I dont need much encouragement as i thought the 500 was lovely.
But i did have an audi in between my 2 minis and i was so bored i only kept it 8 months, so i need the 500 to be fun :)

The boot space on the 500 was impressive, probably on par with the clubman. I found the pedals high but not sure if i just didnt pay enough attention to my seat position.

Is the warranty good?

no it's a 2 year warranty and a 1 year dealer warranty that covers nothing.

Make sure you choose a good dealer just don't go to Thames in Slough as anyone is better than them (in my opinion).

The 500 is a great little car again in my opinion far more fun than a Mini.

Thanks so much for replying. I dont need much encouragement as i thought the 500 was lovely.
But i did have an audi in between my 2 minis and i was so bored i only kept it 8 months, so i need the 500 to be fun :)

The boot space on the 500 was impressive, probably on par with the clubman. I found the pedals high but not sure if i just didnt pay enough attention to my seat position.

Hi, I bought my 500 less than 1 month ago and at the first time I found the pedal too high but after a couple of days I just realised that it was only about getting the proper seat position.
Now I don't feel any problem anymore :)

Is the warranty good?
Is the 500 as much fun?

Anything you should know? In terms of what? There are some bits that aren't hugely well made like some suspension components, servicing can be expensive if you're a fool and don't ask how much it is before you take it in or if you don't shop around.

Warranty isn't exactly class leading but they're quite reliable so it's no biggie.

Is it as good as the Mini? In terms of?

As much fun? How is the Mini fun? People's ideas of fun are all different, so it really is best to see for yourself rather than take someone's word for it.

Massive problems? Nope. Little niggles, yes there's a few.

Is the warranty good?

no it's a 2 year warranty and a 1 year dealer warranty that covers nothing

I agree, but the 500 is generally reliable enough so warranty isn't a big problem. None of the common issues is terribly costly anyway. Not that this is an excuse for such a turdulent warranty.

Is the warranty good?
Is the 500 as much fun?

Hi & welcome :wave:.

The dealer experience won't compare; think of it as the difference between buying from John Lewis & buying from Comet/PC World (and even that comparison is probably being generous to FIAT; their warranty might just be the worst available on any mainstream new car you can buy in Britain today).

I wouldn't describe the 1.2 500 as 'nippy'; it's a great engine, utterly reliable & one of the most fuel-efficient petrol cars you can buy, but I'd expect even the most basic mini would feel quicker.

What both cars share is that they carry a significant fashion premium; they are at least 15-20% more expensive than other cars of comparable specification and are particularly poor value when bought used, as residuals are high.

The 500 is fun, cheaper than the Mini, generally reliable (especially in 1.2 form) & guaranteed to put a smile on your face - if you like it & can afford it, there's no reason to let the poor warranty & dealer experience put you off, as both parts & servicing/repairs can be easily and cheaply sourced in the independent market.

Oh - one other thing to mention - the 500 has a far, far better forum ;):).

Last edited:
Hi & welcome :wave:.

The dealer experience won't compare; think of it as the difference between buying from John Lewis & buying from Comet/PC World (and even that comparison is probably being generous to FIAT; their warranty might just be the worst available on any mainstream new car you can buy in Britain today).

I wouldn't describe the 1.2 500 as 'nippy'; it's a great engine, utterly reliable & one of the most fuel-efficient petrol cars you can buy, but I'd expect even the most basic mini would feel quicker.

What both cars share is that they carry a significant fashion premium; they are at least 15-20% more expensive than other cars of comparable specification and are particularly poor value when bought used, as residuals are high.

The 500 is fun, cheaper than the Mini, generally reliable (especially in 1.2 form) & guaranteed to put a smile on your face - if you like it & can afford it, there's no reason to let the poor warranty & dealer experience put you off, as both parts & servicing/repairs can be easily and cheaply sourced in the independent market.

Oh - one other thing to mention - the 500 has a far, far better forum ;):).

Agree with the vast majority of what you've said here.

However I genuinely do believe the 1.2 is quite a nippy little engine; I think you're underselling it a bit here!;)(y). If you put your mind to it, get your gear changes spot on and aren't afraid to let it rev a bit then it is surprisingly rewarding. Arguably though it's the versatility which is its greatest strength; it is more than happy to return excellent fuel economy if that's what you want.

Have never driven a Mini, but the smallest engine is a 1.6 with an advertised top speed of 109mph and 75bhp, so maybe the difference isn't as great as you might initially think?

Is the warranty good?
Is the 500 as much fun?

Hi and welcome to the best Fiat forum around!

If you really want fun- and your wallet will stretch (and you're not too worried about boot space) I would recommend the convertible it 's wonderful!
-It's the most fun I've had in a car in years and I have owned a few minis in the past. The only car that was as much fun to drive as the 500c was my old 2CV which I took where Chelsea Tractors fear to tread!

I have the 1.2 lounge version, and as has been mentioned, provided you use the gears and revs that are available it goes extremely well, especially on winding roads.
My car returns around +-48mpg on narrow roads with the roof down most of the time and road tax will be £30 per annum.

Hi and welcome!

Just skim read the thread,

Have you tried a 5OO with a TwinAir engine?

IMO the 5OO with a TA engine is a completely different proposition from a 1.2.

If you haven't test driven a TA 5OO please do so before deciding.

I drive a 1.2 and after my test drive in a TA I would go for that over the 1.2.

Hope this helps.

Have never driven a Mini, but the smallest engine is a 1.6 with an advertised top speed of 109mph and 75bhp, so maybe the difference isn't as great as you might initially think?
:yeahthat:
The only model in the MINI range comparable with the 500 1.2 is the 'First' model and given it's weight penalty the 500 1.2 will be more spritely.

In the past when the MINI 'One' was a 1.4 engine with 95bhp the now discounted 500 1.4 had the edge. A superior 'area' for the MINI is the multi-link rear suspension and the TLC pack (its the bare minimum) to keep servicing costs down. If you are looking to lower your running costs a 500 1.2 should tick the box and still be fun to drive.

Maxi's in a v. pedantic mood in this thread.

I think all that rain must be getting him down?

Maxi's in a v. pedantic mood in this thread.

I think all that rain must be getting him down?
Not really, despite being Australian I'm a great lover of the English language and it's kind of cool to write things how they should be rather than how you think they look best :p

You wouldn't believe how carefully I checked my spelling/punctuation before posting!

Cant believe how helpful everyone is many thanks again.

Am putting the deposit down on the 1.2 tomorrow. I thought id sleep on it but still love it and couldnt help looking out for 500's today :cool:

I am looking for something cheaper to run, and although my TLC pack was great its now almost over. I cant afford a new mini that i like, and i love the space and girliness (sorry boys) of the 500.
Im not buying it from a Fiat dealer but another car dealer that has a few 500's in. Its less than a year old so still some Fiat warranty left. Can anyone explain the 2 + 1 year warranty you all mention

I will try and post pics of 'maggie' when she arrives.:)

Back