Technical Fiat 500 Speedo Not Working

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 Speedo Not Working

spagy86

Hi all - my daughters speedo recently stopped working. After a little research I bought a new stepper motor.

The problem I'm having is removing the speedo and rev needles to replace the motor, the rev needle just won't come off no matter how hard I try.

Any suggestions?

How are you trying to get it off? Prising it up or winding it while prising?
Turning it slightly anti clockwise and then pulling up - is there a specific way I should be doing it? Really don't want to break it :).

Last edited:
How did you get speedo needle off? one would assume they are the same type of fixing!
I didn't get that far sadly. Need to take the rev needle off before you can get the speedo needle out. Can't get the rev needle off no matter how hard I try. I must be doing something wrong??

Just thinking - if I still can't get the bloody thing off, could I buy a 2nd hand instrument cluster and just swap the centre screen with the original to keep the mileage?

Just thinking - if I still can't get the bloody thing off, could I buy a 2nd hand instrument cluster and just swap the centre screen with the original to keep the mileage?
No. If you want to alter the mileage there is some diagnostic software available that will allow you to do it. It'll only allow you to increase mileage and not decrease. The guy on the Love500 youchannel has filmed something about this on his channel, I think?

No. If you want to alter the mileage there is some diagnostic software available that will allow you to do it. It'll only allow you to increase mileage and not decrease. The guy on the Love500 youchannel has filmed something about this on his channel, I think?
Ah OK, so I assume the mileage isn't stored in the centre screen, but elsewhere on the instrument cluster.

No luck with a hair dryer sadly. Noticed today however, it does come back to life when first driving, then gets stuck. Each time this happens, the speed gets higher and higher each time it resets so it keeps reading faster and faster!

Considering sending it off for repair, but what if they can't get the needle off??

Back