Technical Tempra losing power

Currently reading:
Technical Tempra losing power

calcd1978

Guys,
I am have this weird problem with my tempra. For the past 2 months I have been experiencing power loss when driving. What happens is that suddenly the car will start jerking. Looking at the dashboard, I noticed that the RPM's have dropped to 0 and the fuel injector warning light is on.
If I continue to keep my feet on the accelerator, the car will just die off. So far from what I can notice, this problem only seems to happen when the air-cond is on.
Took that car to the workshop and the found that the air-cond compressor was not connected to the ECU. Fixed that but the problem is still there. :bang:
Also tried changing the plugs, did a top overhaul (due to overheating) but still no luck. My mechanic is thinks that it is a faulty fuel pump but I want to see any other causes before I commit for a new fuel pump. The cost here is Malaysia is crazy (USD 250 for a second hand one!!!) Any ideas of what else I can check?

Check your fuel cap when you have the problem - if you loosen the cap do you hear a 'whooosh' as air rushes into the tank?

You may have a blocked breather if that is the case.

It seems unlikely that your fuel pump comes and goes.... they usually just go :rolleyes:

Hmmm.....I have always had that whoosh sound even before the problem started. Can you tell me where I can locate the breather? This makes it easier to tell my mechanic.

Depends on the model, but any mechanic will know what to look for - there are only two hoses that aren't part of the fuel feed system - the filler hose and the breather hose and they are both on the top side of the tank...

An easy quick test - just put the cap on loosely - not so loose that it will fall off, but so that air can enter and go for a drive - if your problem goes away, it is a cheap fix - either the breather or the petrol cap needs unblocking / replacing

The reason your car overheated was most likely that it was running too lean due to fuel starvation...

Last edited:
thanks man, shall get it looked at when I get my clutch replaced. Anyway the engine got overheated due to fan failure :(

continental cars don't run so well in this country...overheating is a main problem here...

just another thing that I am curious about....would the punto 1.8 engine fit in my tempra? I have had this tempra for nearly 10 years and I think it is time for an engine upgrade already as the performance parts for a tempra is really expensive....A complete performance exhaust system is going around USD 2000!!!!

Back