Technical Tempra 1.9TD cold starting problem

Currently reading:
Technical Tempra 1.9TD cold starting problem

BKR0411

Hello to everyone. I'm a bit of a newbie, so apologies if this is a really obvious problem. I've had a look through the other threads but couldn't find an exact match.

I've just bought a Tempra 1.9TD SW and it had recently developed an aversion to starting from cold. On turning the ignition key all the relevant lights come on, including the glow plug light, but when this goes out and I try to start the engine all I get is a loud click.

It has only developed over the past week and initially would happen once or twice before starting normally, but last night it took loads of attempts before the engine would crank. Once it does crank, it starts perfectly. The problem also only appears to happen when the engine is cold. It turns over fine when the engine is warm.

I wondered if it was a problem with the solenoid on the starter motor, but wasn't sure how this would fit with the problem only happening when the car has been standing.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Hello to everyone.... I've just bought a Tempra 1.9TD SW and it had recently developed an aversion to starting from cold. On turning the ignition key all the relevant lights come on, including the glow plug light, but when this goes out and I try to start the engine all I get is a loud click.

Sounds as though it may be a starter problem, but before you go stripping it out it would be as well to check all the wiring from the battery to the starter. The starter solenoid is built into the starter so its not a separate item to check. Also check any earth wiring from the starter to the chassis / battery.
The battery goes directly to the starter (large red wire), there is a smaller wire that goes to the starter, this is the one that pulls the inbuilt solenoid and gets the starter going, (the click).

If this does not fix the problem the starter gear may be sticking. The starter comes out reasonably easily (3 bolts and a bit fiddly around some engine bits) remember to remove the battery connection first !, there is nothing between you and a couple of hundred amps!. On the end of the starter there is a gear cog that is "thrown" into the flywheel gear engaging the starter, this can become dirty and sticky, cleaning and oiling it should do the trick.

Check the obvious bits first, bad wiring, dirty, corroded or badly clamped battery terminals, this can give a high resistance in the battery wiring giving enough power to the car but not enough to turn the engine over. While you are at it check the glowplugs as well, they can go open circuit giving bad or lumpy starting but not normally no turn over, just turn over without firing. They are the four spark plug like bits connected with a commoning bar.

Do the lights go out or markedly dim when you try to turn the starter ?, getting the click, that can point to battery terminals / starter connections.

If you get it out you can try the starter across the battery but be *VERY* carefull there is lots of torque there.

Cheers Ziomike. I will have a look this weekend. Thanks for such a comprehensive answer.

Back