Technical Tempra 1.6 ie SX (1996) won't start

Currently reading:
Technical Tempra 1.6 ie SX (1996) won't start

Vispilä

New member
Joined
Sep 19, 2006
Messages
4
Usually my Tempra starts nicely with no problems what so ever, but recently I've been experiencing some problems.

Occationally when I turn the key to start, nothing happens. No "click" from the starter, nothing. If I just leave it for a while and try again after a minute or so it will start normally. However the frequency of this problem is increasing and I really have to do something about it.

I'm not much of a car mechanic, but at the moment I just can't afford to take it to a repair shop.

I'm sure that the problem is electrical but any hint's from where to start troubleshooting (any hands on hints would be highly appreciated)?
 

Ziomike

New member
Joined
Mar 5, 2004
Messages
152
Location
Aldershot, United Kingdom
With the description it could be quite a number of things, it needs narrowing down a bit.

Do the dashboard lights come on with the key ? (possible connection problem)

If the lights come on, can you hear a couple of small clicks about 2-5 seconds later, probably need to stick your head under the bonnet for this one, or can you hear a faint whirr from under the offside rear seat (possible faulty fuel pump or its electrics)

If the lights come on, do they go dim or go out when you try to start ? (bad battery connection or wiring to starer)

Do you leave it for a minute or so with the ignition on or totally off ?

When it does start does it do so normally or does it seem to labour or is difficult (bad battery or connection).
 
OP
OP
V

Vispilä

New member
Joined
Sep 19, 2006
Messages
4
Ziomike said:
With the description it could be quite a number of things, it needs narrowing down a bit.

Do the dashboard lights come on with the key ? (possible connection problem)
Dashboard lights work normally, also the immobilizer code from the key seems to work as the light turns on and off as it's supposed to...

Ziomike said:
If the lights come on, can you hear a couple of small clicks about 2-5 seconds later, probably need to stick your head under the bonnet for this one, or can you hear a faint whirr from under the offside rear seat (possible faulty fuel pump or its electrics)
Not sure about this one... but I think no...

Ziomike said:
If the lights come on, do they go dim or go out when you try to start ? (bad battery connection or wiring to starer)
The lights might dim a little bit, but not sgnificantly.

Ziomike said:
Do you leave it for a minute or so with the ignition on or totally off ?
Totally off

Ziomike said:
When it does start does it do so normally or does it seem to labour or is difficult (bad battery or connection).
When it starts it starts normally (except in the middle of the winter in Finland if I forgot to plug in the additional heater ;) )

I was going to start checking all the wiring and connectors, I just wanted to check if someone has experienced the same problem and could point me to the "target" staright away.

I'm a little bit afraid that I might have to change the starter or the "keybase" (not sure if this is the correct word in english), but the spares cost like hell over here and there's not too many Tempras in the junk yards either...
Considering the fuel prices here in Finland I'll be bankcrupt anyway, so I'd be better off if I just sell the car.
Then again I would probably get a little bit better price on that if it would actually start every time....

:rolleyes:
 
OP
OP
V

Vispilä

New member
Joined
Sep 19, 2006
Messages
4
Just to let you know that the "Ferrari" is waking up again... (y)

And thanks for your comments Ziomike.

Once I actually found some time to do anything, it didn't take too long to determine that the starter motor was shorted. Now it's replaced with a "new" used starter from a poor Tipo that most likely was already in "terminal condition" :cry: and ready to become an organ donor...
 
Top