Technical Temperature Gauge

Currently reading:
Technical Temperature Gauge

Craig100

I'm just after a bit of advice;

I keep hearing that, when the engine is warm, the temperature gauge should sit half way, however on my car(Bravo 1.8HLX) the needle doesn't even get a quater of the way up, unless in heavy traffic where it can go halfway, or sitting stationary for too long.

Now, I do around 45-50 miles a day, mostly motorway's. I can get to my destination(after 20 or so miles) and the temp gauge still not even be a quater of the way up.

I have had the fans kicking in(when gauge >= 1/2 way), but am just curious to see if this is normal?

Thanks
Craig :)

At this time of year i'm seeing the same thing with mine, i wouldn't worry if i were you. As long as the idle speed drops to about 800 when she's been running for a little while then you have no problems mate.

My guess is that is normal especially if driving in open country where air passes throught the radiator more easily thus creating a better cooling effect.
In traffic the temperature gauge goes a bit higger and as soon as the radiator fan kicks in this causes more air to flow throught the radiator to improve cooling.

mine is the same this time of year. temp gauge reads only 2nd notch off bottom unless i'm stuck in traffic for a while. its easy to assume your thermostat is stuck open but this time of year its normal. if you start the car ona cold winters morning it can take 45+ minutes for the cooling fan to come on, which can easily fool you into thinking something is wrong.

Back