General temperature gauge

Currently reading:
General temperature gauge

smc4761

My 56 plate panda 1.1 has developed a small but annoying fault recently.

When I switch the ignition on from cold, the temperature gauge shoots up to the red for a few seconds . I then have to put my foot on the accelartor to ensure the engine kicks in and after a few seconds the temperature gauge drops back to the bottom. thereafter the temperature gauge behaves as normal.

I have noticed that when i switch the ignition on the temperature gauge needle moves very slightly

I had the same issue a few years ago and had the software updated. Surely this would have resolved the issue and would not need to be done again

I had the same issue a few years ago and had the software updated. Surely this would have resolved the issue and would not need to be done again

Depends how good the software update was, and what causes it to need it, there must be some curruption or something somewhere I'd assume to cause this as not all cars have the issue. TBH if it were mine I'd just put up with it as its only a minor issue imo.

My 59 plate has started to do this and i was led to believe that it's due to the battery slightly discharging over night and even more so in the extreme cold were experiencing, and that small drop in voltage is enough to trigger this glitch. I put some faith in this as it only does it first thing in the morning not later in the day even if the outside temp has gone down further.

Just read another thread about this which suggested that it could be a problem with the battery. The battery is 5and half years old and most of my journeys are about 3 miles one way.

Anyway, the car had a good run from Glasgow to Carlisle recently. Overnight the temperature outside was about -6 and the car started as normal.Over the past few days it has also been quite cold and the car is still starting as normal. Suggest to me that it could be an issue with the battery.

Will nip down to Kwik fit if this happens again to get them to check the battery

Just read another thread about this which suggested that it could be a problem with the battery. The battery is 5and half years old and most of my journeys are about 3 miles one way.

Anyway, the car had a good run from Glasgow to Carlisle recently. Overnight the temperature outside was about -6 and the car started as normal.Over the past few days it has also been quite cold and the car is still starting as normal. Suggest to me that it could be an issue with the battery.

Will nip down to Kwik fit if this happens again to get them to check the battery

I think that was a thread I posted? :confused: I'm not sure it's the battery tbh as mine does it only in cold weather. Fine when it's warm. Always starts with no obvious battery low problem.

My 1.2 has clocked up over 115,000km now (4 years old) and it's still the original battery.

Back