Technical Temperature gauge drops to zero and P0116

Currently reading:
Technical Temperature gauge drops to zero and P0116

Hi there!

In my GP 1.3 Mjet the temperature gauge has a weird behavior that I coulnd't find anything similar in the forum.

From time to time it drops to 0 and some seconds later goes back to the right position. When it happens engine light pops up together with message "check engine". When this happens I've noticed that lights have a small "brownout". You can see it in the video below (second 10).

Fault is P0116-62. I've changed the sensor at garage but unfortunatelly it didn't solve the issue. I've delete the error four times already. Thermostat seems to be working because it doens't open until it reaches the half. Coolant looks fine, level is ok, oil looks fine. Actually, I exchanged the oil last week, plus oil filter, air filter and fuel filter. I took the opportunity to disconect the sensor and clean the cap with contact cleaner, just in case it was rusty. On top of that, it's true that now it takes longer to reach the functioning temperature (half) than before, not sure it related or just becuase it is winter and cold outside.

What is driving me crazy is that If I drive normally fault is not appearing, it can be for days of hundreds of kilometres, but when I drive agressive or faster then fault comes easily.

Garage doesn't know what to do and I'm a bit lost as well, is it thermostat? how to be sure ? I don't wnat to spend more going blind

Edit: I forgot to mention that earth connection close to gearbox looks fine to me.

any help will be very welcome. thanks!!

P0116-62.jpg

Last edited:
It seems the issue is fan related. As soon as fan kicks gauge falls to zero, afterwards when fan stops gauge comes back to its position indicating the right temperature. It happens only after one hour journey, I assume because engine gets hot enough that fan starts.

I'm going to review the fan connector, my ears are open for any other advice

Hi,

Very much worth fitting a new ground wire between engine/ gearbox assembly and vehicle body. The ground wires can look ok but actually be failing.

If the ecu does not get a signal from the coolant temp sensor the ecu will turn radiator fan on .

Good luck

Jack

Hi there!

In my GP 1.3 Mjet the temperature gauge has a weird behavior that I coulnd't find anything similar in the forum.

From time to time it drops to 0 and some seconds later goes back to the right position. When it happens engine light pops up together with message "check engine". When this happens I've noticed that lights have a small "brownout". You can see it in the video below (second 10).

Fault is P0116-62. I've changed the sensor at garage but unfortunatelly it didn't solve the issue. I've delete the error four times already. Thermostat seems to be working because it doens't open until it reaches the half. Coolant looks fine, level is ok, oil looks fine. Actually, I exchanged the oil last week, plus oil filter, air filter and fuel filter. I took the opportunity to disconect the sensor and clean the cap with contact cleaner, just in case it was rusty. On top of that, it's true that now it takes longer to reach the functioning temperature (half) than before, not sure it related or just becuase it is winter and cold outside.

What is driving me crazy is that If I drive normally fault is not appearing, it can be for days of hundreds of kilometres, but when I drive agressive or faster then fault comes easily.

Garage doesn't know what to do and I'm a bit lost as well, is it thermostat? how to be sure ? I don't wnat to spend more going blind

Edit: I forgot to mention that earth connection close to gearbox looks fine to me.

any help will be very welcome. thanks!!

View attachment 400355

Did you fix this fault?
I have the same issue with my qubo 1.3

Just for the record my 08 Panda 1.3 multijet was plagued with P1106 code, changed coolant sensor with aftermarket sensor , fault code persisted so changed complete thermostat and housing- error persisted, changed sensor for genuine Fiat sensor - error persisted so changed MAF sensor in the air intake ducting and success no error code. so P1106 isn't always coolant related.

Back