General Temperamental Brava Wipers and Horn

Currently reading:
General Temperamental Brava Wipers and Horn

drumdmc

I have a 2001 Brava 1.2 sx and over the last month or so both the wipers and horn have days of not working or working properly.

The horn will work as normal for say 2 days then nothing for a couple of days then all of a sudden it will work properly again. I have checked all the wiring, fuses etc and nothing seems wrong.

The wipers sometimes suffer from the common problem of no single wipe or intermittent and not parking when switched off when on full speed. This can happen for a few days then all of a sudden they will work properly again for a while then go back to not doing as they should. I have taken the motor and linkage assembly out tried another that i have which didn't do the trick, checked all the electrical connections, fuses etc but still can't pin point whats wrong.

Both the horn and wipers don't fail together all the time so the horn won't and the wipers will work or vice versa so the fault can't be linked to both.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing the faults, the MOT is due in a couple of months so i need to get this sorted.

I have a 2001 Brava 1.2 sx and over the last month or so both the wipers and horn have days of not working or working properly.

The horn will work as normal for say 2 days then nothing for a couple of days then all of a sudden it will work properly again. I have checked all the wiring, fuses etc and nothing seems wrong.

The wipers sometimes suffer from the common problem of no single wipe or intermittent and not parking when switched off when on full speed. This can happen for a few days then all of a sudden they will work properly again for a while then go back to not doing as they should. I have taken the motor and linkage assembly out tried another that i have which didn't do the trick, checked all the electrical connections, fuses etc but still can't pin point whats wrong.

Both the horn and wipers don't fail together all the time so the horn won't and the wipers will work or vice versa so the fault can't be linked to both.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing the faults, the MOT is due in a couple of months so i need to get this sorted.

I have the exact same problem relating to the horns.... Simply put Ive been through 2 sets of main horns and am now fed up, I now use a Stebel Nautilius as my main horn (I dont think these are road legal mind you) basically, the first set gave up working totally, seized with lying up and then sudden use. Now the second set are on and these intermittantly work, they dont work when you need them. Basically what causes this is the pins on the horn or the plugs on the wires, I found on my car water was getting round that area and turning the wires and connections green, as well as drowning the horns in water. 3 solutions: keep the connections clean, relocate the horns or use a 2nd horn :)

As for the wipers its the same problem altho I found my stalks had melted (thanks to 100w full beams) and this wasnt helping, with a Marea weekend stalk (these dont operate the back wiper btw only the washer) it never looked back :D

Horn working today thats 2 days in a row....keeps fingers crossed.

Wipers not working this morning when i went to work at 7.00am but working again when i finished at 3.00pm. The strange thing is the more i think about it they work when its is hot and sunny and not when cooler. I wonder if it has something to do with the grease where the contacts are in the motor assembly which must change with heat.

Same wiper problem with my Bravo, no intermittant or normal speed and no auto park. Will try the contacts but have had a look today and they seem OK. Its either the supply to the relay not getting through on one side or the relay itself I assume - how many fuses are there for the wiper motor, is there more than 1?

...how many fuses are there for the wiper motor, is there more than 1?
I own a 1998 Brava SX 1.2 16v and in the main fuse box can see that there is a 20 amp fuse protecting the horn circuit as well as a 20 amp fuse protecting the windscreen wiper, windscreen washer, rear window wiper and rear window washer circuits.

Wow I think this is an 11 year old thread and I have the same issue.

2001 brava 1.2 with an intermittent horn, and the wipers have stopped working
since I parked it up on sorn a few months back.

I noticed some advice on a melted stalk due to 100w lights but I don't think I've
ever had the lights on, let alone high beam. (It was only a daily shopping car for a while).

I'd appreciate some dummies advice on anything I could do to rule anything out before the garage's money clock starts ticking... As I say, it's on sorn at the moment with no mot/insurance/tax so it's not easy to even get to the garage...

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Back