General Temp Gauge fixed

Currently reading:
General Temp Gauge fixed

bedofercni

I just want to tell a story how i fixed my temp gauge and how i made unnecessary work on my dashboard! :D So last thursday I was driving my 1.6 SX when suddenly the temp gauge showed that my engine is about to blow, the needle was up in the sky. I stopped and popped the bonnet up, but the pipes were barely warm since i drove only 2-3 kms. After work I read the ecu and the temperature was just fine but the gauge showed the wrong temp. Okay i tought the dashboard is failing, it was a bit hectic, sometimes it jumped up and a slightly hit on top or a a bumpy road fixed it. I took apart the unit,(find horrible gluing job which was left by the prev. owner), bent the pins wich goes from the "motherboard" pcb to the gauge coils. Partly reassembled the unit and it was failing again. So i repeated the last prcoedure without any luck. I was about to order a used unit when suddenly i tought what if i disconnect the cable from the temp sensor . And voila the gauge went down to the bottom. (It was halfway with an ice cold engine). I want to stop here because you would ask why didnt i do this before i disassembled the whole dashboard. And my answer is: I was misguided by the ecu readings. And that's because i didnt check the datasheet of the sender unit, wich has two thermal resistors, one for the ecu and one for the gauge. So I replaced the temp sensor and it is working like it should :D Why am I writing this novel? I just want to tell you the moral of the story: always check part diagrams and datasheets! :D I hope you find it useful :D

Back