Technical taking the Panda plunge?

Currently reading:
Technical taking the Panda plunge?

The guy in the garage led me the belive that it was £180 for a full door but it must have been for the skin.

Never knew marbella doors were galved, can you get them new from Seat?

What's the technique for repairing a door like that? I'm not a welder, but I know somebody who is.

cut the whole bottom off, cant remember what the tool is but it puts like a step into the bit that is left, new bottom can then be welded in flush

edit think the tool is Joggler/Flanging Tool

Last edited:
Yep, joggler, it will be very hard to weld it without warping, you will need to do lots of tack welds rather than a continous weld, very easy to make a mess of it though that will be hard to put right if you dont know what you're doing.

You will probably have to repair the frame once the skin is off and to do it properly you should put a lip on the skin repair piece that you hammer round the edge of the frame once it is welded in.

Alternatively you could fill it full of filler which would last for a year or so.

Yep, joggler, it will be very hard to weld it without warping, you will need to do lots of tack welds rather than a continous weld, very easy to make a mess of it though that will be hard to put right if you dont know what you're doing.

You will probably have to repair the frame once the skin is off and to do it properly you should put a lip on the skin repair piece that you hammer round the edge of the frame once it is welded in.

Alternatively you could fill it full of filler which would last for a year or so.
Plan "B" there sounds favourite for now! The welding technique sounds a bit involved for my mate.

when we had the rover sd1 that used to get tarted up once a year on the doors, until it was my first car then it got left to rot :(
I did get a quote for new body shell doors etc and I think it was either 4 or 5k back in the early nineties.
What a motor for a first car though :devil:

when we had the rover sd1 that used to get tarted up once a year on the doors, until it was my first car then it got left to rot :(
I did get a quote for new body shell doors etc and I think it was either 4 or 5k back in the early nineties.
What a motor for a first car though :devil:

They are awesome, what was it? 2.0 2.6 3.5 :D

They are awesome, what was it? 2.0 2.6 3.5 :D

We did have the 3.5 for a while....

the one I ended up with was the turbo diesel which at the time was the worlds fastest diesel production car :D

racking my brains trying to remember whose engine was fitted in it, BMW or Bosch? Had a great turbo whistle on it, autobox too so a great cruising machine :)

Last edited:
We did have the 3.5 for a while....

the one I ended up with was the turbo diesel which at the time was the worlds fastest diesel production car :D

racking my brains trying to remember whose engine was fitted in it, BMW or Bosch? Had a great turbo whistle on it, autobox too so a great cruising machine :)

Wasn't it a 2400 Italian VM diesel fitted to those? Maybe that explains the sound ;)

Wasn't it a 2400 Italian VM diesel fitted to those? Maybe that explains the sound ;)

I think you're right Palio, it was the mk2 range rover we had [or was it the mk1 disco?] that had the BMW engine and I'm mixing them up :confused:

Dad always wished he'd got the v8 range rover and had an LPG conversion on it instead of the diesel.

Got a hankering to see an sd1 now when it's show time again :)

What he said...

Got the car up on ramps and took the door off to get to the sill and inspect it properly.

QT6UsWxl.jpg

Turns out the passenger side is solid apart from the lip at the back where the plastic trim was a water trap. As I'm widening the arches anyway I'll leave it until then. While I had the door off and raw materials I decided to fix that instead.

kpoOoPxK.jpg

Drilled the Aluminium plate off...

XqWASCdU.jpg

...cut as much rust away as necessary, welded a lip in place...

szqbFuH9.jpg

...and ran out of gas. Went into town to get more and someone very kindly put my hammer through the window for me.

vR09F6l5.jpg

Seam welded and flapped a panel to the door...

xpKst6UA.jpg

...once the door was hanging a quick coat of yellow...

T56G416e.jpg

...to protect the bare metal from the rain...

4JYLurwJ.jpg

...that arrived just after I covered the window frame with plastic. This door was nowhere near straight when I started so it isn't my best work. ;)

Back