Technical Taking engine out a ut mk1

Currently reading:
Technical Taking engine out a ut mk1

Metro_vvc

Can the engine out of my mk1 uno turbo be taken out from the top with a engine crane?

It looks like it can but im sure sombody that has done one could 2nd it for
me.

Also could sombody tell me what turbo is used on the uno turbo mk1 and where i get a rebuild kit from for that model of turbo?

Cheers,Rob

Last edited:
i just had mi engine in and out today, i dropd it out the bottom and put it back in through the top, just had to take the alternator off to make it a bit easier to get in, so maybe wen taking it out take alternaor off first, it hes the brake master-cylinder

Metro_vvc said:
Can the engine out of my mk1 uno turbo be taken out from the top with a engine crane?

It looks like it can but im sure sombody that has done one could 2nd it for
me.

Also could sombody tell me what turbo is used on the uno turbo mk1 and where i get a rebuild kit from for that model of turbo?

Cheers,Rob
my advice is dont mess with the turbo. get it overhauled by turbo technics. they have franchises all over. reason being, the housing and all relevent bits need checking. a hybrid bearing can be fitted by them to make it reliable. they spin it up and balance it properly. this is needed for reliability. check them out.:) (y)

Cheers people (y)

The driveshafts are out and everything is moved out the way ie rads,fans, intercoolers, battery and tray and its all unplugged so im gonna have a go at taking it out the top.

Just found a reciept back from 2003 for a new hybrid turbo so i would think that should be fine:)

Rob

When I put took mine out and put it in I jacked the car up and put the engine on axle stands and the back of the body on axle stands, then by myself I just lifted the front of the body clean off the motor leaving driveshafts and box and everything still intact, and did the same when putting the engine back. Lifted the front of the car up and lowered it down onto the engine.

M@nticore said:
I prefer to take it out of the top, dunno if the mk1 is same as the mk2, but all the mk2's i've done, the top was the best for me.

Problem with that is that driveshafts etc have to come off. I did my entire front lump and drive assembly as one piece, saving me time and effort reassembling it all later.

Out the bottom is definatly much easier IMO. The engine actually hangs off the front of the car. If you undo the engine mounts, it will fall out.

Most other car designs have the engine sitting on a subframe etc, thats a different story.

Back