General TA Fuel Economy Better Than Expected!!!

Currently reading:
General TA Fuel Economy Better Than Expected!!!

After reading all the threads on here about really poor fuel economy, I was vey nervous about how my New 500c TA was going to do on its first run.

Bearing in mind its only in its second day and still has less than 100miles on the clock, but I had to do what I consider a decent combined run today,

50 Miles from Nr Mansfield to Derby and Back, Some around town, some A Roads, and some on the M1

map.jpg

Sector 1 was around town, down the A38 to Derby then town driving in Derby, this sector was 2 UP (2 Large Adults) (Average Speed 60mph on the A38)

Result a much Better than expected Average of 63.2 MPG Once parked up in Derby

trip1.jpg

Sector 2 was around Town in Derby, out via the A52 to the M1 and up to Jnc28 then across country home (4 Large Adults and a Boot full of Sports Gear!) (Average Speed 70mph on A Roads & M1)

Result this dropped the overall trip mileage down to 55.9 MPG but still a lot better than my old 1.2 Lounge

trip2.jpg

So as long as on runs like this I can get 55 I will be more than happy!

ECO-DRIVE Showed a Score of 70 for the outbound and 71 for the inbound with room for improvement on acceleration..

Have a good 300 Mile blast down the M1 on Monday to London and Back so will be interested to see how that copes! ( I averaged about 48/49 on that run in my 1.2)

OK, so I took the TA down to London on Monday

(First Work trip in for her!!)

Rush Hour Trip Down, Leaving Huthwaite at 5.45am Arriving into Leicester Square at 8.43am (143 Miles) Averaged 59.1 MPG Traffic was very sticky from M1 Junc 13to10 and the normal crawl from the North Circ down to the West End.

Late Night Trip Back Leaving Leicester Square at 11.05pm Arriving Huthwaite 01.43am (147 Miles) Averaged 58.1 MPG Traffic Clear but Diversion from M1 Jnc18 to 20 Via B Roads due to closure

Not sure why the 1MPG less on the way back, but maybe I was a little heavier on the gas pedal

Used ECO Mode both ways, Did note that even in heavy traffic the Start&Stop system did not activate, and have just realised that since I had the car it has not cut in once, so a trip back to the dealer soon to see if there is a problem with S&S (No Warning Lights on, just not cutting in!)

Overall for those sorts of MPGs I am very happy for a Motorway run to work, bearing in mind it is saving the £10 London CC each time I drive in as well.

Fuel Economy is almost exactly the same as my Renault Grand Scenic 1.5 Turbo Diesel, (But that costs me Congesation Charge & £130 a year tax), also its a Renault so it spends more time bleeding my wallet dry at the dealers than the 500 will)

Shame it doesn't also give you free parking. I has to pay stupid amounts the other day in Shoreditch, The only up side was the carpark did not have an up and down ramp it had a car lift how cool is that.

60mpg is not bad at all, I can get that out of my 1.2 if I drive like an old lady.

Shame it doesn't also give you free parking. I has to pay stupid amounts the other day in Shoreditch, The only up side was the carpark did not have an up and down ramp it had a car lift how cool is that.

60mpg is not bad at all, I can get that out of my 1.2 if I drive like an old lady.

I have a work parking space so parking fees are no worry, but I know what you mean the parking in Central London is a pain in the rear price wise.

(Although the Lovely burble from TA engine and exhaust made the copper on duty at the ramp turn round as I hooned it down the ramp)

60MPG from your 1.2 WOW, I never got that out of mine, the best I could manage on the London run was 48/49. You must have really been in "Flat Cap" mode :D were you smoking a pipe and wearing driving gloves as well. :eek:

Last edited:
60MPG from your 1.2 WOW, I never got that out of mine, the best I could manage on the London run was 48/49. You must have really been in "Flat Cap" mode :D were you smoking a pipe and wearing driving gloves as well. :eek:

Are you referring to your 'old' 1.2 with the 16 inch Abarth wheels ?

If I take it really easy with my 17inch abarth wheels I can get 60mpg, you would not want to be stuck behind me though.

Are you referring to your 'old' 1.2 with the 16 inch Abarth wheels ?

Yes, I struggled to get over 50mpg with that on a run, I found on the M1 I averaged about 49mph at an indicated 70MPH (67MPH True speed)

That was on my 2009 Lounge 1.2 with the 16" Abarth Alloys.

If I take it really easy with my 17inch abarth wheels I can get 60mpg, you would not want to be stuck behind me though.

Thats really good, I honestly don't think I ever got to 60 with mine on the 16" wheels apart from downhill with the wind behind me..

Before I traded in my old 1.2 Lounge I checked the Trip B Figures that had never beed reset (Although I think someone said it only averages over the previous 2000 miles), and it was reading a total average of 42.1MPG which I think is fairly indicative of what I was getting from it in real world driving, so will be interesting to see how the TA fairs after a couple of thousand.

Last edited:
Did note that even in heavy traffic the Start&Stop system did not activate, and have just realised that since I had the car it has not cut in once, so a trip back to the dealer soon to see if there is a problem with S&S (No Warning Lights on, just not cutting in!)

Fuel Economy is almost exactly the same as my Renault Grand Scenic 1.5 Turbo Diesel, (But that costs me Congesation Charge & £130 a year tax), also its a Renault so it spends more time bleeding my wallet dry at the dealers than the 500 will)

As we've a recent addition in the form of a 500 TwinAir in our household (Parents car), they're some really encouraging figures there. Will be interesting to see how many miles you get to a full tank (i'm still waiting to do that calculation myself too) but the onboard computers don't seem to be far out on Fiat's i've used in the past so that bodes very well (y)

Just to kind of reassure you, our Start&Stop system doesn't cut-in THAT often either. I noticed the other day that when i'd set the climate control fan to speed 2 it cut-in, but just by increasing it by 1 increment (which is alot smaller than the manual aircon fan speeds) the S&S didn't cut-in. I'm presuming this is because the higher the fan speed, the bigger the drain on the battery. This might not be the case with your car but just as a pointer & to indicate quite how sensitive the S&S system appears to be.

Is the Scenic one of the latest models? I always thought they were much improved over previous Scenics - i know the last generation had the major digital dashboard failure problem. Is the Multipla in your display pic a previous car? Love Multipla's but there's not much reason for one when you're a 28 yr old single guy, lol!

As we've a recent addition in the form of a 500 TwinAir in our household (Parents car), they're some really encouraging figures there. Will be interesting to see how many miles you get to a full tank (i'm still waiting to do that calculation myself too) but the onboard computers don't seem to be far out on Fiat's i've used in the past so that bodes very well (y)

Just to kind of reassure you, our Start&Stop system doesn't cut-in THAT often either. I noticed the other day that when i'd set the climate control fan to speed 2 it cut-in, but just by increasing it by 1 increment (which is alot smaller than the manual aircon fan speeds) the S&S didn't cut-in. I'm presuming this is because the higher the fan speed, the bigger the drain on the battery. This might not be the case with your car but just as a pointer & to indicate quite how sensitive the S&S system appears to be.

Is the Scenic one of the latest models? I always thought they were much improved over previous Scenics - i know the last generation had the major digital dashboard failure problem. Is the Multipla in your display pic a previous car? Love Multipla's but there's not much reason for one when you're a 28 yr old single guy, lol!

The FULL TANK FIGURE, came in at 51MPG (Paper Calcualation) and backed up by the computer, less than .5 out and that was with a lot of local driving in the snow yesterday that brought the figures down.

Will try turning the fan down and give the S&S another try, it seemed strange as the battery should have been well charged after the run to London down the M1, although tiwas early so Headlights on etc.

As to the Scenic Its a 57 Reg, I have had 14 months and put 30k on it, (Now at 75k) used it as my main up and down to London car, nice runner but just had a cambelt and new discs, now it needs balljoints and front dampers + the A/C has just gone on the fritz!. So figure time ot dump it before it becomes a total money pit..

Using the 500c as a London Runner is going to hike up the miles on it quickly (25k a year+) but the savings outweigh the added depreciation on my calculations.

The FULL TANK FIGURE, came in at 51MPG (Paper Calcualation) and backed up by the computer, less than .5 out and that was with a lot of local driving in the snow yesterday that brought the figures down.

That's an excellent start for a brand new car with a still-tight engine. Why not join the rest of us who've signed up to fuelly & put a link in your sig?

I have a work parking space so parking fees are no worry, but I know what you mean the parking in Central London is a pain in the rear price wise.

(Although the Lovely burble from TA engine and exhaust made the copper on duty at the ramp turn round as I hooned it down the ramp)

You know i used to complain about parking in London (3 pounds an hour or so i think) but i just made it that i went into central after 6 pm so free parking and no congestion (i love those single yellows).

In Greece everyone simply parks illegally, but i dont only blame the people. Parking garages in the hotspots charge 13 euro minimum fee up to 15 euros maxx! I see cars parking in these garages that are like worth less than the parking fees hahahha.

As well as the aircon setting, having the heated rear screen on will eliminate S/S activation. I'm in two minds whether to deactivate my S/S as when I look at the accumulated data via fiat Eco Drive the savings using S/S over 8 months and 5.5K is quoted at £5.77:confused:

Yes, I struggled to get over 50mpg with that on a run, I found on the M1 I averaged about 49mph at an indicated 70MPH (67MPH True speed)

That was on my 2009 Lounge 1.2 with the 16" Abarth Alloys.

Thats really good, I honestly don't think I ever got to 60 with mine on the 16" wheels apart from downhill with the wind behind me..

Before I traded in my old 1.2 Lounge I checked the Trip B Figures that had never beed reset (Although I think someone said it only averages over the previous 2000 miles), and it was reading a total average of 42.1MPG which I think is fairly indicative of what I was getting from it in real world driving, so will be interesting to see how the TA fairs after a couple of thousand.

I found it hard to believe that RUI could get 60mpg on a 1.2 with 17s but he is using Pirelli P0s which probably have less rolling resistance than a set of Continentals PremiumContact 2s on 16s. Still doesn't explain it.;) From 'past' experience the Conti 2s took 2mpg of a similarily sized tyre (had a Neros on a 500 1.4 sport average 37mpg whilst the Contis gave 35mpg). That 42mpg does sound like a realistic real world average for a 1.2.

I found it hard to believe that RUI could get 60mpg on a 1.2 with 17s but he is using Pirelli P0s which probably have less rolling resistance than a set of Continentals PremiumContact 2s on 16s. Still doesn't explain it.;) From 'past' experience the Conti 2s took 2mpg of a similarily sized tyre (had a Neros on a 500 1.4 sport average 37mpg whilst the Contis gave 35mpg). That 42mpg does sound like a realistic real world average for a 1.2.

Getting comparative fuel economy data is much harder than it looks, since so many variables can affect the result for any individual journey.

Combining my own experience with everything I've read, I'd say anyone could get a 1.2 500 into the 40's - the lower end if you're a spirited driver, the upper end if your driving style is about average. With careful driving, the low 50's should be easily attainable. If you adopt a more aggressive ecodriving style (think that's an oxymoron) & reduce your cruising speed to around 50-55mph, then 55mpg+ should be within your grasp.

The 60 mpg petrol car club is a rarified place, and AFAIK noone has yet managed to get a lifetime membership with a 500, but I believe it should (just) be possible. Fuelly is currently showing my own car as having averaged 61.3 mpg over the last ten tankfuls - which includes the past winter - so maybe by this summer my sig will start with the magic number.

I've just done 500 miles in a rental TA. We've got a 1.2 Panda and a 100hp Panda so I was interested in the comparison.

On a 70-80mph Motorway trip, the TwinAir was struggling to better 40mpg. At 70mph on a flat road it would do 45mpg. This was worse than the 100hp Panda.

However, around town, driven like a nun, it could get 58-60mpg at 30/40mph

The engine is impressively torquey, and the car felt better damped than any 500/Panda I've driven. Whether this was the lighter engine, or new settings, I don't know.

The thrum is charming, although a little crude when the clutch is dipped, but I think the 4 cylinder would still be my choice.

I've just done 500 miles in a rental TA. We've got a 1.2 Panda and a 100hp Panda so I was interested in the comparison.

On a 70-80mph Motorway trip, the TwinAir was struggling to better 40mpg. At 70mph on a flat road it would do 45mpg. This was worse than the 100hp Panda.

However, around town, driven like a nun, it could get 58-60mpg at 30/40mph

Yeah I have found to get its best on the Motorway an Indicated 55MPH is the way to go (I have done it once and doubt I will again), it returned 70.3 MPG over a 60 Mile run (That was also tailgating a very high HGV for extra slipstream). but 55 is just way to slow, and I have found at an indicated 70 I return about 55 MPG over a decent lenght run on the M1 which is good enough for me.

I cannot get a decent in city MPG tho, the little engine just tempts me too much to give it a kick, Hence my Average so far over 2000 Miles is only around 48MPG in total.

Although now my Start & Stop is working now I am hoping to see an improvement in my Central London Driving MPG

Redlake

On verge of ordering a 500 Lounge Dualogic and debating 1.2 vs. TA. From your multiple experiences you suggest you would choose the 1.2 four cylinder - apart from cost why? I have now driven a 1.2 Dualogic (today) but cannot find TA to compare. Found driven smoothly seemed OK even with 3 people but wondering if the TA may be better long term, especially as the mpg figures people are quoting are better than elsewhere.

thanks

Redlake

On verge of ordering a 500 Lounge Dualogic and debating 1.2 vs. TA. From your multiple experiences you suggest you would choose the 1.2 four cylinder - apart from cost why? I have now driven a 1.2 Dualogic (today) but cannot find TA to compare. Found driven smoothly seemed OK even with 3 people but wondering if the TA may be better long term, especially as the mpg figures people are quoting are better than elsewhere.

thanks

It's all down to personal preference and what you feel comfortable with. I picked a 500 after driving my OH's 1.2 Pop. with Dualogic. I thought it was a good drive. However when I went to the dealership they had a TA Lounge Dualogic in the showroom, which I test drove and my instinct was the TA was more of a fun drive. To sum up cannot criticise either car, they are both good, but the TA was my preference.

Redlake

The 1.2 is more economical than the TA in real-world driving.

700 miles in on our TA Ypsilon and average on the computer is 37.3 mpg. Quite a few short trips and no runs longer than 45 miles so far. Best has been 41.5mpg.

I was expecting poor consumption and it hasn't disappointed. Hoping it'll improve as the engine frees up. Shame as it's a cracking little engine with bags of character.

Back