T-cutting. Best way to restore original colour?

Currently reading:
T-cutting. Best way to restore original colour?

that isnt he fault of the paint. fair enough if the colour isnt right.. the colour isnt right. but the dullness in the paint is down to shody spraying.

you need to rub the lacquer coat down lightly with 1500-2000 grit paper untill it has a matt/dull finish. this will take out all of the unevenness in the paint finish. then you need to rub it down with rubbing compound and use a mop polisher thingie to take it off.. finaly use a finishing product and polish that off with the mop too which will bring it out nicely.. or should do atleast

did you even apply lacquer finish? please dont tell me you used the halfrauds cans and expected to get a perfect finish??? it doesnt work like that im affraid. to get a good finish you need to use a compressor and spray gun with quality paint and experience. halfrauds cans are generaly intended for touchups and is never going to be exactly the same as the original paint finish. the halfrauds paint is thin and pretyy rubbish to be honest. ital do the job on interior bits and minor things but NOT full body panels.

Last edited:
problem on the paint is not allowing the coats to dry[solvent], which then comes through the paint and look like little dots. also looks like he's held the can too close causing orange peel.
for the money and time spent, he could have had that side blown in by a local bodyshop.:rolleyes:

orange peel could also be caused by it being sprayed outside or not in an ideal environment. based on the current time of the year this has been posted, i would have expected it to have been sprayed on a very cold day. spray paint doesnt work on cold days :p its basicly aleady started drying before its hit the surface and so drys uneven, like what youve got there.

thats why bodyshops use a sealed, ventilated, heated and clean spray booth. you dont have to use one (and in most home situations you cant) but outside on a cold winters day generaly doesnt work.

Bushboy said:
orange peel could also be caused by it being sprayed outside or not in an ideal environment. based on the current time of the year this has been posted, i would have expected it to have been sprayed on a very cold day. spray paint doesnt work on cold days :p its basicly aleady started drying before its hit the surface and so drys uneven, like what youve got there.

thats why bodyshops use a sealed, ventilated, heated and clean spray booth. you dont have to use one (and in most home situations you cant) but outside on a cold winters day generaly doesnt work.
sorry but not true.
orange peel is caused by incorrect distance,excessively thick coats of paint application, thinners that are too fast or cheap,paint viscosity which is too high,air pressure which is incorrect or panel temp which is too hot.
in cold conditions, the solvent cannot dry before it hits the panel. there is moisture in the air at this time of year. the paint cannot get to the right temp and viscosity and so you get a combination of poor technique, moisture and trapped solvents. this causes orange peel, pin holes and sinkage.:)

Bushboy said:
cant find the site i read it on (was quite a thorough site tbh) and it said pretty much the opposite to what youve said :p i dunno, but whatevers right, I know using halfrauds spray cans isnt a good idea :p
ive worked with bodyshops, so just take it i know. and yes, halfords spray is rubbish, cans too big and not enough pressure to get all spray out and very expensive and usually not a good colour match;)

Back