Technical Suspension

Currently reading:
Technical Suspension

stubdo

Hi All,

I think my shocks are in need of replacement (certainly the rears) and have been looking at coilovers as would like to be able to have the ride height a bit lower. I like the idea of being able to drop the height real low for shows etc.

A lot of the kits I've seen are for models '82 onwards. I have an '81 UK spec model, is there any difference in the suspension between the 81 and 82? Are the coilover kits for and '82 model likely to fit?

Also anyone that's changed to coilovers and could offer any advice before I get stuck in, it would be really appreciated.

TIA
Stu

Hi All,

I think my shocks are in need of replacement (certainly the rears) and have been looking at coilovers as would like to be able to have the ride height a bit lower. I like the idea of being able to drop the height real low for shows etc.

A lot of the kits I've seen are for models '82 onwards. I have an '81 UK spec model, is there any difference in the suspension between the 81 and 82? Are the coilover kits for and '82 model likely to fit?

Also anyone that's changed to coilovers and could offer any advice before I get stuck in, it would be really appreciated.

TIA
Stu
I can offer no specific advise on your vehicle, just fifty years in the motor trade, but in general the coil over shocks I have seen in use have been poor quality with weak alloy nuts to adjust the threads/spring height tension etc. So my advise would be to only buy a very good quality make with good reviews, make sure all locking nuts etc are securely tightened and finally keep all your old parts in case you need to go back to original and some parts have been discarded with modification.
Lastly what makes your older car valuable is it's originality, so try not to do any unreversable modifications.

Thanks for the advice, there certainly seems to be a big jump in price between some of the kits. I was hoping someone might be able to recommend a manufacturer as otherwise I'm buying blind.

Not sure my X has much value but I'll keep the old bits in case someone wants to reverse in the future, good call.

Back