Technical suspension woes

Currently reading:
Technical suspension woes

Hello, my lack of funds to buy the new car that i want has forced me to repair the old girl to get her through the MOT. it started out as just tie rod ends, but i knew the anti roll bar drop links were dead, and so i changed them too, after that i took it to the garage to have the tracking done and they said the suspension arm bushes were too worn to do an accurate measurement, so i spent the weekend doing the rear brake hoses and a complete flush of brake fluid, and then Sunday i changed the suspension arm bushes. it's a horrible job, and i would strongly recommend to anyone to just buy the complete arm, bushes included and pre fitted, it's well worth the extra small amount of cash.
so much hammering later, i have the new bushes on, but i still have a problem.

could it be the transmission arm CV joints?
also, i have what seems to me, to be, a lot of play in the gearbox, when one side of the front is jacked up and 1st gear is engaged, i can turn the wheel about 5cm before it stops.

any ideas welcome.
thanks.

Last edited:
i had the wheel off today, and i'm sure there is nothing rubbing on the actual wheel, the heat shield is solid and in no way flappy or loose, and also, it's the sort of sound i remember hearing when my Mrs's suspension arm bushes disintegrated on her VWPolo 9N, a squeeky rubber kind of sound, it's not a scrappy (scrapey?) metal sound.
seeing as i have changed all the likely culprits in the wheel vicinity, i an thinking it could well be that the engine mounts have had it. if that's the case, i shall ignore it until it becomes a real issue. i'm loathed to spend too much money on a car that is a shed of a beast, scruffy and beat up.

Back