Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES

Currently reading:
Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES

So I got back into Super Mario last week and have decided to try and complete them all. Not in order, just whatever ones I feel like playing at the time. I did however start off with Mario 1, I'm sure you've all probably played it so I won't give it a huge introduction!

So far it's been pretty straight forward. I'm on world 8 and other than the 4th castle nothing has given me much trouble. The difficulty fairly ramped up at world 7 though with lots of difficult jumps and enemies all over the place but I persevered and got through it. World 8 ain't too bad after a few runs through but the castle is pretty confusing. Ran out of time a couple of times but know the route now so should make it through next time without any real problems (hopefully get it finished off tonight)

Also made a start on Mario 3 with Martyn last night, again I don't think we've faced any major set backs. Dang hammer brothers are a nuisance though and I accidently used a P wing in a castle but never mind. Played the BIG world last night as well which was great fun! I love Mario 3, so much creativity in the levels, the power ups and the over world.

What really surprises me though is just how hard and fun such a simple game can be. Let's face it, it doesn't take elite skillz to pass an enemy walking straight towards you, or bouncing or even to jump over a hole in the ground, but so many times last night we had really stupid and avoidable deaths! Really makes you groan getting taken out by a Goomba! Great fun though.

Will keep you up to date with our progress, anyone any Mario All-Stars memories they'd like to add in the mean time?

I've still got my NES and original copy of SMB3 - wish I had the boxes for both, but I must have been about 8 years old when I got that for Christmas.

Still play it occassionally (no saves!) and what's odd, as you can vouch, is remembering where the whilstles and extra bonuses are.

One of the greatest games of all time, imo.

Had Allstars sitting there for an age and not had the chance to play it (along with everything else). Cart is a bit beaten up so needs a bit of wiggling to actually work properly but for a freebie was good :) Shall need to pop it on at some point though I'll admit I was always more into my Sonic...

It's funny my cart is the same way Muppet, you need to hold it at a certain angle for it to work than once it has started it is fine. Strange.

Growing up it was definitely more sonic for me and that is actually another series of games I've yet to complete start to finish. Will add it to the list!

Completed Mario a couple of days back. Now it has started up again on a harder difficulty! Everything moves faster and all the Goombas are now those hard shelled ones that can't be fire flowered. Mean, mean game!

20121230_2146171.jpg

I remember Mega Drive carts were awfully iffy..

Virtua Racing is the greatest example I remember. If you actually wiggled the cart whilst loading you could load the mirror tracks, which you'd usually have to cheat or complete the game to obtain.

Sonic 2's still a game I have a blast completing in a day every now and again :D It's getting all the Chaos Emeralds that's the slightly difficult part :laugh:

Not really had any issues with my MD carts though, just that one SNES cart. Only got the 6 carts in all including the Super GameBoy as it costs a bit to get games boxed, which I prefer :p But yeah, intend to play Mario at some point if I ever find the bleedin time :laugh:

The master system cartridges were the worst for me and you knew the cartridge didn't work as sonic 1 (which was built in) always loaded up instead. So a lot of blowing into the bottom of the cartridge and hitting the top of it into the console was needed and usually worked lol

Back