General Sump removal

Currently reading:
General Sump removal

Goatheed

I am in the process of putting a new sump on my 1996 Punto. I have all the screws out and got it moving on the side nearest the front of the car. I can't free off the other side though. Any Ideas ?

did you get the nuts right up by the flywheel end?

Yes - all are definately out. It is sticking on one side and I cant get anythig in to prise it off due to lack of space on that side

Had the same problem, used a blade to cut the joint but also a bit of banging and tweaking with screwdriver on sump body (its being replaced after all). You can always clean the block face when its off but don't be 2 rough. Would also say get a good sealant (fiat one or better) and make sure the surface is clean of oil. Use a evaporative cleaner.

you can rive the sump all you want just be car full not to damage the oil pick-up or you will have a hole world of problems

and take the dip stick out if you are removing it with the exhaust in place

also don't go nuts on the bolts at either end they are only into aluminium not like the rest that go into the block

that's all my good advice i'm afraid

o one more thing cut the end of the sealant tube you have so that it sticks up about 10mm of the sump surface that way you make sure it seals all around

as the sump is not a perfect fit on the block

I now have the sump off. How much sealant should I put on ? Should it cover all the sump surface to be joined ?

Thanks for all the advice folks

Just use a nice consistent band of sealant around the sump and make sure both surfaces are absolutely clean. then just offer it up and get the bolts in. I did it a few weeks back and its fine so far.

cut the end of your sealant tube in such a way that the sealantcomes out in a 10mm high peak that way you make sure it seals all the way round

also run your bead of sealant around the inside of the bolt holes in the sump as oil will run down every bolt if you don't

or you could just surround every bolt that's a good method too

cut the end of your sealant tube in such a way that the sealantcomes out in a 10mm high peak that way you make sure it seals all the way round

also run your bead of sealant around the inside of the bolt holes in the sump as oil will run down every bolt if you don't

or you could just surround every bolt that's a good method too

yeh you need to be quite generous with it or one little leak and you have to start again, and digging sealent out of the grooves in the sump isnt fun (i know from experiance :yum: )

be sure the bottom of the engine block is completely free from old sealent and oil. if you have a drip of oil, the sealent wont stick and you'll have a leak. best thing is to wipe it all down best you can and then leave it overnight. then in the morning give it another quick wipe before putting the new sump on. this way you can almost guarentee they'll be no unsealed points.

Back