General Stuart's Mk1 Panda

Currently reading:
General Stuart's Mk1 Panda

Wow!!

Are you registering it on a 2012 plate? :p Could easily pass off as new I think, wish I could do that for ChiChi. Maybe some day but it's had some cheap nasty MOT welds over the years which will give me some challenges!

Anyway, incredible work Stuart. Can't wait to see it at a show, any plans to this year?

Si

Wow!!

Are you registering it on a 2012 plate? Anyway, incredible work Stuart. Can't wait to see it at a show, any plans to this year?

Si

Its still on its original 1981 plate but I'm getting a special set made that has the original dealers name and number on them. Jack Hill of reding.

I've missed all the shows here for this year so that didn't go to plan.

And I don't really have the time anymore to look after it due to family commitments. So I'm going to put a high price on it and if it goes that will be the decision made for me. Otherwise it will go into storage.

Thanks guys for the kind comments. (y)

My mate who's a car spark is coming round on Monday night to sort the wiring and once thats done I think its ready for mot.

Same for me this year, and last year...I'll make an FF meet soon I hope, it has been too damn long!

Put it up for about £5,000,000 I reckon. You'll get to keep it then (y) (or maybe not, it does look good :D)

No I understand it's not always practical to keep a car, and it's better it goes to someone who will use it as well.

Si

Last edited:
Its still on its original 1981 plate but I'm getting a special set made that has the original dealers name and number on them. Jack Hill of reding.

Did you have an original one to copy Stuart? If you need to know what the logo's etc looked like, I still have an original 1982 back plate on my Strada from Jack Hill. Don't think you can see enough even zooming in from the pic below (though the window sticker is clearer), but I can get a decent photo for you if you need it.

Who are you getting to reproduce it for you? I have a rubbish front plate on mine, so would be interested in someone who could reproduce the logos for me. (y)

Cheers, Gavin.

P.S. The Panda's looking really fantastic - all that hard work has paid off!

P.P.S. sorry for the Strada pic on a Panda thread!! :D

Last edited:
Same for me this year, and last year...I'll make an FF meet soon I hope, it has been too damn long!

Put it up for about £5,000,000 I reckon. You'll get to keep it then (y) (or maybe not, it does look good :D)

No I understand it's not always practical to keep a car, and it's better it goes to someone who will use it as well.

Si

:idea:Actually thinking about it, I would probably swap it for either a Panda 4x4 climbing, an original 500 needing a bit of work or an 850 as I fancy making an Abarth replica. Hmmmm

Well that's the wiring kind of all sorted.

3 issues remaining (n)

I need a MK1 front wiper motor as I've had to retrofit a MK2 to get me through the mot. The wiring setup is different on a mk2 with the result being I can only get one speed and it wont self park.

The rear wiper motor appears to be duff but I may have another, I hope !

and the light on the dash for the indicators is pretty faint which is a little annoying.

So I'm on the hunt for a mk1 front wiper motor if any of my Panda friends can help as always. :worship:

Did you have an original one to copy Stuart? If you need to know what the logo's etc looked like, I still have an original 1982 back plate on my Strada from Jack Hill. Don't think you can see enough even zooming in from the pic below (though the window sticker is clearer), but I can get a decent photo for you if you need it.

Cheers, Gavin.

Gavin can you take a close up of just the writing at the bottom of the plate. I'd like to see if it is the same as mine. Mine just has Jack Hill Reading and the phone number, nothing else. I was planning on getting them made before the end of the week so if you had a cahnce it would be much appreciated.

Oh and the Strada is as rare as the Panda now so don't apologise it looks to be in very good order to (y)

Unfortnately my G Wagen decided to burst its fuel pump during the week and my time has been taken up stripping it to get the pump out (n) but today I managed to get the engine bay almost finished. I say almost because I forgot to fit the rubber round the airbox and the one on the bulkhead.

:eek: and the jack and the battery, eejit.

mk1_panda_engine_bay_finished.jpg

mk1_panda_engine_bay_finished_1.jpg

Ilove that car its exactly like my old one which I wish I still had:( ok so heres the plan I drive my 4x4 over to you with my 126 on the back and a tesco bag full of money you make themboth look like that then I come and fetch them back simples.......:p

:D Give me a year and that actually might be on the cards.

I've the Evo integrale to do next as there's still a verrryyy slight chance it will be going to a little town in Italy called Maranello ;) But it hs to be completed by January. Serious pressure on that one.

The 308 has 2 interested parties so it has to be done straight after the Evo.
I was planning then to do my own 126 or X19 but these may have to wait as I've been asked by a guy from the South of Ireland to do his Evo, a mate in Abu Dhabi is threatening to send his Evo over to be restored as its spent 2 years racing out there and only this morning I got an email from a guy in Australia asking if i'd be interested in restoring his original Alfa Bertone GTA.

Until I see all these cars in the flesh I'll take them with a pinch of salt, so after the 308's done which I'm hoping will be next July I might be in a position to do something while working on my own stuff. (y)

Stuart
I also reckon you are the Pilgrim father of the Panda movement who led the way for Kev, Vern, MEP et all, to show nothing is beyond repairable.
Dave

Stuart
I also reckon you are the Pilgrim father of the Panda movement who led the way for Kev, Vern, MEP et all, to show nothing is beyond repairable.
Dave

Wow thank you, but to be honest it's the enthusiasm of everyone here that drives me to trymy best at these things. As I see it your all my peers:worship:

I got the pencil drawing Kris did for me up on the wall of fame in my hall and I'm veryproud of it.

Panda_drawing_on_the_wall.jpg

And even though I've only had one person :cry: remotely interested in buying the car I still can't help taking photo's of it.

mk1_panda_hiding_in_the_garage.jpg

Back