Technical Strange noise

Currently reading:
Technical Strange noise

HI guys,
another problem has come up...this time I dont think it is brake related (I fixed those). What is happening is that I am getting a sort of knocking sound from the front left wheel when turning right on a less than perfectly surfaced road. The noise is like a muted thumping noise. It doesnt do it on the straight ahead or when turning left!!

Any ideas what it could be?
Ad

Please note it was doing this noise before I did the brakes as well

Wheel bearing is worn or the outer CV joint is worn

jack the car up and hold the top and bottom of the wheel and see if there is any "Forwards and backwards" movement (Pull and push the wheel in opposite direction to and from yourself by alternating your hands)

And check CV joint movement, should only be in and out not any other movement

One thing you shold bear in mind is if you have gone up and kerbs hard, my mates 1.2 Corsa managed to shatter (Im talking very small peices!) its inner passenger side CV joint on a greasy road! lol
Because the inner expanding clip thing didnt stop the drive shaft as he hit a kerb hard forcing it in

ok I will try and check the cv joint. I however did not go up any kerbs. I never do as I have alloys and I dont want to ruin them in any way!

In the meantime..is it dangerous to drive as it is or is it still driveable??

Thanks
Ad

It is driveable up to the point when the CV joint fails for good and you are left standing in the middle of the road...;)
What may help, if the joint is not worn/cracked beyond the tolerance, is squirting some penetrating oil into the joint and/or "black" MoS2 grease. You will have to remove the gaiter first.
Or, if the gaiter is cracked and filth entered the joint, washing the joint thoroughly with a thinner (acetone, toluene etc.) before applying the grease can help.

I've had a similar noise to Drinu's car in my Uno. It happend when I changed my gearbox and also the passenger side driveshaft in March of this year - on sharp right hand bends I get a knocking sound, but never at any other times. It's been doing it ever since with no sign of getting worse! :confused:

My Uno even passed its MOT last week, so wheel bearings/ suspension joints were checked and deemed fine.

No idea what it is, but will get round to swapping the driveshaft over again once the weather gets warmer.

Back