Technical Strange headlights

Currently reading:
Technical Strange headlights

Tom Atkinson

We've got a 2004 Fiat based motorhome and mot is due at the end of the month. Checking lights over and dipped beam won't work. If I turn them on first and then turn ignition on they come on but won't come on if ignition is on first . Any ideas please?

"A second stage approach would be after disconnecting the battery negative to remove all connectors from the Switch Control Panel, link A8 to D17 on the harness side. Reconnect battery, and dippedbeams should work. With battery disconnected again, remove temporary short, and replace connectors."

Tried this today and lights still not working. I'm determined to find the fault.
Was the ignition ON? Relay T02 will only operate if the ignition is on.
If you connect T02 pin 86 to chassis with ignition on do the dipped beams come on?

Was the ignition ON? Relay T02 will only operate if the ignition is on.
If you connect T02 pin 86 to chassis with ignition on do the dipped beams come on?
I've found the problem thank goodness. Bad connection on light stalk. Need to get steering wheel off to get at it. Any idea how I disconnect airbag.

I've found the problem thank goodness. Bad connection on light stalk. Need to get steering wheel off to get at it. Any idea how I disconnect airbag.
Hi Tom,

Congatulations! I am not clear why you need to remove the steering wheel for a bad connection, or is it the stalk switch itself that is faulty?

In case of need I have prepared the attached pdf sections from eLearn, in the hope that they may be of some use. Please take particular care with airbag safety precautions.

If you need to cancel your MOT to allow time for repair, you may not be aware that you can still drive an MOT expired vehicle directly to a test station.

Attachments

• Air Bag Module R&R.pdf
    177.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Steering Wheel Removal.pdf
    213.1 KB · Views: 47
Easier to get to connector block. Just loose terminals so squeezed them up a bit and Bob's your uncle.
Bloody horn won't work now.🙃🙃
Horn works via relay in engine bay fusebox, and is not easy to reach,as buried at front of LH wing. Need plastic bumper off, which in turn needs at least partial removal of wheel arch liners. Plastic fixings may not survive removal.

Attachments

• eLearn E3010 Horn.pdf
    24 KB · Views: 34
  • eLearn E3010 Horn Location.pdf
    81.1 KB · Views: 37
Sounds a pig of a job. Strange that it's stopped working since I took steering wheel off.
In that case check steering column connector "A" fully home. If still faulty earth pin A6 on harness, colour Pink/Violet.

Hope that you have not damaged clock spring.

Attachments

• Steering Column A.pdf
    174.2 KB · Views: 26
Back