Stoneacre Service plan rip off?

Currently reading:
Stoneacre Service plan rip off?

dc6532

Advice needed guys! Please bear with me! I have a brand new (2wk old) Fiat 500. My hand book says a full service every 18k or 2yrs. It says an oil change every 12 mths if doing less than 10k/yr. my warranty is also for 2 yrs standard plus an extra year for free.

Now Stoneacre are trying to hard ball me into buying a service plan. I was today told by the sales desk I need the car serviced at 9k miles otherwise my Fiat warranty is invalid! The cost of their plan is £611 which includes a service in 2015/16/17 and first MOT costs.

My gut feeling is they are talking bo****ks and trying to sell a service plan I do not need. Can anyone give some advice or insight?

They offered me this about 2 weeks after I bought my car, I didn't get it, it didn't seem worth it.

Don't be pressured in to buying something you don't need ?

Mine is going in for its 2nd service tomorrow and they always try and sell you something extra! Other than this stoneacre have been great with me ?

Unless you reach 18,000 miles in less than two years or do only a handful of miles (less than 9000 a year), the car won't actually need a service/oil change until 2016 and then 2018, so you'd potentially only get one service for your £611 payment, which is terrible.

However, if you're going to cover the manufacturer 18k interval in 12 months, you could potentially get 3 services for £611 (dependant on the all important Terms & Conditions of course), which is a good price given my Parents were charged over £300 for their 2 year/18k service on their 500 TwinAir.

It basically all depends on your own mileage circumstances as to whether the service plan is worth it.

Well we will probably only do 5-10k per year as it's a little runabout. We have a 4x4 for load lugging and long distance. I rang an independent Fiat dealer this evening and he said its crap! I should stick to what the handbook says and don't waste money on servicing I don't need. Seems fair enough to me.

The cost of their plan is £611 which includes a service in 2015/16/17 and first MOT costs.

Thinking about it, £611 for 3x services and a MOT isn't that bad for a main dealer, it works out £203 per service. I guess this is only good for someone that drives over 10k per year I guess and like to get their car serviced every year. On my last punto, they wanted over £450 for a second year service (I don't think).

Remember the first service is the one you need, to keep up the warranty for its second year.

Last edited:
I just got a new punto a few weeks back and the salesman tried to sell me a service plan for £19 a month (don't know for how long tho). That work's out at £228 for the first 12 months. But the first service itself is only about £150 (was on my last punto) and I tend to do the second service myself anyway.

Last edited:
I've just taken 'er indoors's car for servicing and the dealer has offered me a 3 year servicing plan for £515 and this includes the one and only MOT it will get in that plan schedule. Clearly this first service today at 4,900 miles is not included in the plan.

I haven't read any of the small print because he hasn't provided me with a full key information leaflet with the full T/C's. I do know though that the plan is transferable to another car if I were to buy from the dealership the car is at, though with my past record of buying cars, I'll go to any main dealership anywhere in the country if the right deal comes along. Taking out a plan with the dealership does of course though tie me to that particular dealership, which although is good for price this time, may not necessarily be so competitive next year.

I estimate the second service will be at 12,000 miles this time next year year and apart from the mandatory stay within warranty brake fluid change, it will be another low mileage service and shouldn't cost anymore than about £200 next year. Therefore I'm thinking that £515 over three years just won't be worth it. Happy though to listen to anyone else's thoughts, bearing in mind that unlike our old POP, I do intend having the second service done on this TA at the Fiat dealership and we are likely to keep the car for at least 3 full years.

i've just taken 'er indoors's car for servicing and the dealer has offered me a 3 year servicing plan for £515 and this includes the one and only mot it will get in that plan schedule. Clearly this first service today at 4,900 miles is not included in the plan.

I haven't read any of the small print because he hasn't provided me with a full key information leaflet with the full t/c's. I do know though that the plan is transferable to another car if i were to buy from the dealership the car is at, though with my past record of buying cars, i'll go to any main dealership anywhere in the country if the right deal comes along. Taking out a plan with the dealership does of course though tie me to that particular dealership, which although is good for price this time, may not necessarily be so competitive next year.

I estimate the second service will be at 12,000 miles this time next year year and apart from the mandatory stay within warranty brake fluid change, it will be another low mileage service and shouldn't cost anymore than about £200 next year. Therefore i'm thinking that £515 over three years just won't be worth it. Happy though to listen to anyone else's thoughts, bearing in mind that unlike our old pop, i do intend having the second service done on this ta at the fiat dealership and we are likely to keep the car for at least 3 full years.
no! Don't do it!

no! Don't do it!

Lol! ahmett, I knew I could rely on you!

I think it's pretty much a done deal that I won't be taking the offer up :p

Anyway, I'm off to go and collect the little sucker! Oh, and part with a bit of money. Hopefully the boot switch will work again and the dash recall has been done!

Last edited:
Lol! ahmett, I knew I could rely on you!

I think it's pretty much a done deal that I won't be taking the offer up :p
my last full fat service (all filters, oil, spark plugs) cost me 133 euros at Bosch Service. I provided the oil myself, but other than that all parts were supplied from Bosch at the dealer.

funny thing is, Mini is offering 5 years free servicing in Greece for all of their cars bought new. I dare ask what the price of changing the pads+discs is at the dealer, which is out of the scope of the 'free servicing' = )

Our first service on the Twinair came after 24 months, 18,000 miles, cost £125 at Fiat dealership. Plan to keep the car for 3 years and get rid before MOT due.
So 3 year ownership will cost us £125 in servicing costs. Service Plan 'my arse', as Jim Royle would say.
My Mokka demands an annual service, no matter the mileage. My service plan will cost me £660 (£11 per month) for five year plan, ie. five services. Now that is a good deal. These Fiat plan costs seem totally crazy.

Back