General stone chips :(

Currently reading:
General stone chips :(

has anyone else havin trouble with stone chips? i know that they are a part of drivin a car but didnt think it would be this bad lol, while cleanin the car today counted 32 lol, had some time on my hands

has anyone used a chip pen? if so are they any good

thanks(y)

yeah my front is just a stone chip right now. (n)

ive seen fiat do colour pens but im nto sure if it will make it look good and you wont be able to see it anymore or will it just look like ive used a pen and make it look worse.

Someone enlighten me ! :bang:

Yep, whenever I polish up my car i shed a tear at the amount of stone chips visible, they became painfully obvious after my 4-5th week of ownership.

Fiat must have an award for the thinnest paint in the trade.

I cleaned my car the other day and was actually surprised by how few stone chips I seem to have. I was more annoyed by the amount of tar that was stuck to the bodywork so had to go out and get a tar remover.

I cleaned my car the other day and was actually surprised by how few stone chips I seem to have. I was more annoyed by the amount of tar that was stuck to the bodywork so had to go out and get a tar remover.
Same here!
My Panda 100HP was awful for picking up stone chips, thankfully the Evo isn't as bad!
I do have the touch-up pen for the Evo just for any chips that do appear, it works ok if you use it carefully.

I've had about 3 or 4, mostly to the front including the edge of the bonnet and also one on the rear wheel arch.

I ordered some paint from fixachip, as at the time I couldn't get one in my colour from fiat. This paint came in a small bottle with a little more than you normally get with a touch up stick.

The best technique I have found is NOT to use the supplied brush on the paint stick, which is way too big for the job, but to use a very small good quality artists brush.

I apply a small droplet into the chip hole so it touches the sides but doesn't go over, and apply just enough so there is a slight raised droplet compared to the surrounding paint. I then leave it a day - the paint will dry to below the level of the surrounding paint. I then do the same again, apply another very small amount to raise it above the surface again. This ensures the paint is almost level with the edges of the chip when it dries and gives the best result, and no brush marks. At no point should you brush the paint on !!

I again leave it to dry for a day, then use auto glym super resin sparingly to polish any remaining raised paint level with the surrounding finish.

If you feel unsatisfied with the job at any stage (even after you've just applied the paint or maybe put on too much) , you can use more polish to soften and remove the paint and start again. I then apply a small amount of laquer if I'm satisfied with the final result, and polish it a few days later.

I've found this gives a reasonably good result for not a huge amount of effort (and I'm picky !) so you can barely see the chip unless you know exactly where it is and stare hard at it !

Back