Technical stilo with mirrors that have their own mind

Currently reading:
Technical stilo with mirrors that have their own mind

psychochild187

hi everyone,
just trying to iron a bunch of issues out and todays one is this
1.9 mw on a 03 plate
has all the options but leather so its my baby
but so when i put the key in the ignition and turn , the drivers mirrors winds up , and just keeps going until i press down .

what would make it do this . ?

the passenger one does it now and then maybe in a different way but still moves by itself.

cheers in advance

hi everyone,
just trying to iron a bunch of issues out and todays one is this
1.9 mw on a 03 plate
has all the options but leather so its my baby
but so when i put the key in the ignition and turn , the drivers mirrors winds up , and just keeps going until i press down .

what would make it do this . ?

the passenger one does it now and then maybe in a different way but still moves by itself.

cheers in advance

Now that is pretty special....

Being CANBUS everything is bloomin' linked together, so it's possibly going to be a bit of a 'mare to bottom out if its nothing simple like the switch.

Bit of educated guess work to help you on your way here having never had this specific problem on any of my Fiats / Alfas before.

I'm pretty sure that the switch units are a node on the CANBUS system (they were on the 147 - someone correct me if I'm wrong) so the related elements to your problem should be the body computer and the switch panel in the door card.

Unless you can find evidence of others having had this and cured it you can only start eliminating the possibly causes.

Go with simplest first...

I'd start by unplugging the switches and turning the ignition on to see if it still goes and does it. Be ready to do something to stop it so that you don't go and strip the teeth on it mind. Hope for the best it's the switches. It's theoretically plausible that they've got rain or damp in them or whatever and got some oxidation on them causing an issue.

I don't know about the Stilo switch modules having never been in to one but I know from the Alfa 147s that you can't really do too much with them as they're sealed units so it may be a case of replacement - which would need proxy alignment I'd have thought.

Good luck.

This is a common fault on other makes. Carefully remove the mirror glass to expose the electrical connector for the mirror motor. Separate the connector and spray electrical contact cleaner on the contacts in both halves. Re-assemble. Job done.

i actually did the un plug the switch thing
i noticed no change
but i shall get back tou you after i try the plug cleaning now
cheers

I shall try this . I have had battery problems so had it in and out a few times. not done motor connection yet as been sorting handbrake and other things.

but we have the same car it looks. but I dont have leather ;(

Back